Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Sick Rottweiller

Customer Question

Dear Pet Expert, Two weeks ago by Rottweiller Female age 7 became sick. She was hunching her back and seemed to feel sick. Took her to the vet who diagnosed high count of giardia in her stool. Started her on 1000 mg of Metronidazole 2x QD. As soon as we started her on this dose, she started to get swelling in her left hind leg and loss of muscle coordination in front right leg. We took her back to same clinic different vet. He took her off this medicine and put her on Rimadyl 75mg 2x QD. Her condition continues to worsen. She is losing control of her rear end and can barely walk. Her front leg still floundering. We are taking her back to the vet this a.m. 3/24/05. He and his team are baffled as to the cause of this. Do you have any answers I could pass on to our vet? Customerat krsstephen @yahoo.com Thank you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
How much does your dog weigh?  And you gave her 1000mg twice a day?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Dear Dr. V.

Our dog weighs 91 lbs. she has lost 3 lbs. since 3/14/05.

The vet did an x-ray and noticed her intestine seems pushed down abnormally. He says their may possibly be a mass in her abdomen doing this but could not feel one when she was on the table. He says she is so muscular that the x-ray wasn't showing anything. Also, the swelling is blocking the x-ray picture.

He has her on Rimadyl 75 mg. 2x per day, Ciprofloxacin 500 mg 2x per day, Furosemide 50 mg 2 x per day. We originally were giving her Metronidazole 500mg per tab 2 tabs 2 x per day for a total of 2000 mg per day for a 94 lb. dog for giardia.

That is pretty much it at this point. Our vet is stumped at this time but hopes that the diuretic will take down the swelling to see if there is a mass that is causing the swelling in her back let and rear end.

Do you have any ideas?

Thank you so much for helping!

Sincerely,
[email protected]
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,

I sent further information to a Dr. V. I can't remember his long name.

Our vet did xrays and it looks like our dog has a mass in her abdomen that is restricting blood flow and nerves causing her hind end to swell and when she walks she walks like she has little control over her back legs.

Our doc is trying to reduce the swelling with a diuretic and has her on a anti-inflammatory. He's hoping that these will help her.

I don't know what to do. She is resting comfortably and is eating a drinking but has to drag herself about.

Thank you for an opinion.

Sincerely,
[email protected]

Kathy,

Sorry that I have not been able to keep up with you...the holiday weekend has me very busy.

Did your vet not feel the mass/tumor was something they couldn't remove surgically?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.

The swelling of her back leg and up in to her abdomen came on so rapidly that when he took the x-ray it didn't really show much. The fact that her intestines are riding down much lower than they should be is indicating to him that she has a mass there but until the swelling goes down and he does another x-ray, he doesn't know what he's dealing with.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to e-mail me.

Sincerely,
[email protected]

The mass I am guessing could be spleenic tumor if the intestines are being pressed low. You need to request an ultrasound...for two reasons main reasons...to see where it is located exactly...and if it is an operable mass.

If this tumor is not on or in a location that is surgically able to be corrected, you may be prolonging her discomfort.

If it is identified in the spleen or other area that is pressing on the vasculature... the tumor needs to be delicately released so that re-circulation does throw the dog in shock.

I would be sending this dog to a board certified surgeon.

Dr.V