Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Shih Tzu Illness

Customer Question

My shih tzu is 11 years old. A month ago she had a sudden illness and was hospitalized with a 104 degree fever. She was put on IV’s and medication, but she has never been the same since. The doctor believed she may have caught something poisonous because there was internal bleeding. I would like a more definitive answer. She is practically skin and bones even though she still has an appetite. Her fever still comes and goes on a regular basis. Her back legs shake when she stands up (which is rare) and she has extreme difficulty walking. There appears to be no muscles in her hind legs (There is a noticeable difference from her front half of her body to her back.) Her head will also shake. She seems disoriented as if she doesn’t even know us anymore. She sleeps all the time and when she is awake she just stares at the wall. It almost feels like she has had a stroke or some brain damage. She has also has a hard time hearing us. Do you have any idea as to what her illness could be?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
Did your dog have any bloodwork done?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: She did have blood work. Her white blood cell count was normal. However, her red blood cells and hemoglobins were low and she was anemic. Her hair also seems to be thinning. The left side of her body (in front of the hind legs) seems to be extremely swollen. She is still thin all over, but that side is out of proportion with the rest of her body.

I would be concerned about Immune mediated hemolytic anemia...seen in older females more often. The loss of protein in blood causes a shift of fluids into the tissues and the edema may be present in different locations.

How is the dog doing now?

Dr.V