ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

cropped ear is falling

Customer Question

my 8 week old great dane lost her head gear. One ear is fairly straight. Upper half of the other ear points downward. Ears are clean and well healed. The brace was due to come off in another week. How can I support the ear without an out-of-town trip to the vet? No one around here does ears.
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
There is a product called moleskin that is from Dr. Scholls....take a piece of that, hold it to the ear and trace the ear then cut out the trace. Make sure the inside of the ear is nice and dry, cleaning it prior with alcohol to help. Stick the moleskin to the inside of the ear and it will help hold the ear up while giving air circulation.
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
Hi vivian...
It sounds weird but we use tampons in the ear and surgical tape..obviously the tampon end into the canal...and the tape around the tips....

Just don't take her in public because after she shakes her head the strings come out the tops ! :)

Dr.V
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you! That was funny and helpful! I wanted to try the 2nd suggestion as a back up (both were very good); I already had the supplies for this one :) Too bad the other msg has disappeared. Thanks again!
Good luck!
Dr.V