Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Shih Tzu loosing hair.

Customer Question

Our Shih Tzu, 8 yrs. old is loosing her hair. She is not a long haired dog we keep her puppy cut. It seems thinner by the day, comes out in her brush and you can see her skin while the part down her back becomes wider. What could cause this?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 At  8 yrs old it could be endocrine related as well as topical. Does the dog have any scaling, reddness, or itching? Is the dog chubby? Drink more than usually water?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Yes, she seems to have a scaling of the skin, body pink and lays on her back to scratch as she always has. She hasn't changed in weight, about 12 or 13lbs. Does drink a bit more.

As they age, this breed can run a high incidence of hypothyroidism which can cause thinning of hair, reduced immune system, increase water drinking, and wt gain.

Pink itchy skin can indicate yeast...it also can cause an off white scale and a sweet smell.

I would recommend washing the dog in SelsunBlue shampoo (nothing else) and then try to get her thyroid checked.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: She hasn't gained any weight but must be experiencing joint problems as she can no longer go up steep steps or jump up on furniture. Does this play into your diagnosis in any way?
She has had a prior yeast infection, it cleared up, we stopped meds and now just started giving them to her once again. She takes 1/4 tablet every other day of ketoconazole and we bathe her in Maleseb Shampoo leaving in on for 10 min once a week. This seems to be helping the scaling but not the loss of hair. She is also taking Joint Max.one tablet pr. day.

Great! You can start Omega Fatty Acids (fish oil) supplements for skin health.

Hypothyroidism doesn't so much cause joint pain, but can cause muscle weakness.

In any case the fish oils or DermCaps from a vet help with the turn over and excess shedding of fur as well.

Good Luck,

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
 Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
She hasn't gained any weight but must be experiencing joint problems as she can no longer go up steep steps or jump up on furniture. Does this play into your diagnosis in any way?
 Are you reasking the questions for a reason?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Yes, you told me I had a free post and I asumed that you wanted me to ask another vet. I never used this site before and don't quite understand your procedure. I fully understand your previous answers that I paid the $5 for.
Please explain what the free post was all about?

Free post is something we hit so that you don't feel you are "PAYING" for it.  It is how we respond when it is not the "answer" to your question...or if we have questions.

There is not currently any other vets responding...at least for the last month or so. There are other specialist that you can ask for a reply from...if you would like their opinion too.  Sometimes this is such a busy site, we don't usually give multiple opinions, but I can definately notify a few people if you want there input as well.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Please do I am so concerned about my dog. I am not well and can't get to a vet immediately
thanks