Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

poodle/terrier mix: keep anything..put ivs..hydrated..be is coughing

Customer Question

Our 8 year old poodle/terrier mix dog has been what we thought vomiting since for 4 days and can’t keep anything down. We have had her to two different clinic and they have put IVs in her to keep her hydrated. Yesterday they did a x-ray of her chest and think that her esophagus is large and there for she is not vomiting be is coughing up what she tries to take in and not vomiting. If this is what is wrong with her is their a cure? She is suffering and its breaking our hearts to see our baby girl likt this. We are going back to see the vet tomorrow but I thought some advise would help. She has been very healthy all her life, never sick or anything until now.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 Are you feeding her a slurry of food in an upright-elevated position?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: She will not take any food only water. I do hold her up after she drinks, and it seems to help her alittle. The vet has said that her esophagus is not working like it should be. He did a x-ray with dye and the dye still sat there with very little going to her stomach. Even after approx 5 hours it was still same in her esophagus. He did put her on some medication, but I worried tht she is not eating at all.
YOu need to get some baby food meat and blenderize her food, warm water...and slurry it together the dog should be feed this gruel (sometimes warming it up so it emits a good smell) then place it on a chair so the dog has to have its front feet up on it to eat it...gravity will help it get to the stomach so the regurgitation doesn't happen.
Dr.V
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you for you advise, we will try it.
Let me know how it goes...

DR.V
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Our little girl is not doing well. I called the vet today to report that I cannot get her to eat anything. She just turns her head the other way when we try to give her food. I have been putting baby food in a syring and forcing her to eat which is not nice. The vet said that we could put a feeding tube in her, but I don't know if we want to put her through that. I look into to her eyes and its like she is not even there. Do you have any suggestions?

I guess I am concerned that the cause of the esophageal problem has not been diagnosed. Regardless, the prognosis is usually not real good. Myasthenia Gravis is one disease that can do this as well as causing other muscle fatigue.

The benefit of placing a stomach tube is that you leave her face and mouth and esophagus alone. The tube is used to keep her alive while you figure out the problem. Dogs handle this real well, but you need to decide if you are willing to find the diagnosis.

You may be at a point that you ask your vet for a referral to a board certified internal medicine specialist...to take the next steps. I agree that force feeding is not the way to go and it is suffering.

So...that choice is up to you. In the area you live, there should be several internal med vets...you might just get her referred ( you take your xrays and bloodwork and records) and they review options and idea. If they can't give her a hopeful prognosis...then you have at least tried.

I hope this helps.

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you for your advise. Our vet is going to do a scope on Monday. He did another xray with dye of her esophagus and he said that it was O.K. now and it was working like it should be. He did put her on prednisone, misoprostol, metoclopramide. She is still not eating, with out us putting in a syring. She has no engery at all, she just lays there. Alot of the time it seems like she is drugged up or she is just not there. This morning she stood over her water dish for about ten minutes and never took a drink of water. COuld this be from the med's?. Her blood work is great according to the vet the only thiing that is a little off is her white blood count, but he said it is not very high and that could be due to stress. Any information is very helpful.
 Did you ask your vet about a referral?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Our little girl passed away on Saturday. She is resting now. I still wonder what she had but I guess we will never know. We miss her, but she will always be in our hearts. Thank you for all the information.

I am so sorry for your loss...I know this has been so hard for you.  She is in a better place with no illness and no veterinarians poking her.

My prayers are with you.

Dr.V