Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

some odd post-surgery symptoms

my cat underwent minor surgery on monday march 14th to remove a hard plug of wax from her ear. since then her right eye has been half-covered by her 3rd eyelid; is this a result of the anesthetic?
her pupils are equally reactive to light and dark, and her eating habits are back to normal.
also, she still shakes her head and rubs her right ear (where the wax plug was) vigorously. Is this just irritation from surgery?

Thanks, s.massey

Two things I think of with the eye. One could be corneal irritation or drying from the anesthesia...and antibiotic eye ointment should help. The other is Horners Syndrome which is where there is some nerve trauma causing the third eyelid to go up and some other changes your vet will determine.

The shaking her head can come from any irritation from the removal of the plug.

I would plan on taking to the vet in the morning. They need to look in the ear and eye.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Can nerve trauma have occured in the eye when removing the wax ear plug? Is that possible?

Have been using GenTeal (Novartis OTC eye lubricant) which has helped somewhat (her eye was much more closed prior to using this). Why antibiotics?

Is vet visit crucial? She is traumatized by the carrier box and I'm traumatized by the price.

Thank you,
S.Massey

You can never rule out nerve damage since it can happen. The lubricant will help if there is an ulcer...although sometimes the healing is not complete.

You do not need to go to the vet. You can continue using the lubricant a few more days...but if the develops colored discharge (yellow or green) or the eye looks more inflammed...a check is needed.

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thanks....that's what I needed...to be sure about whether it warranted another trip to vet's.

By the way, since you mentioned the 3rd eyelid may have resulted from dehydration under anesthetic, I thought lubrication was the right remedy for that. Seemed logical.

Many thanks. I'll use this service again.

s.massey

yep. you were right. when the eye drys it can get an ulcer...as long as the immune system is good and not bacteria gets introduced to the ulcer...lubricant should help it heal!

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Wasn't expecting a reply. You are very kind and obviously "into" your work.

Funny, my sister Adrianne Massey used to teach vertebrate zoology at NC State for pre-med and pre-vet students. Years ago. (I just looked up your background). Small world.

Many thanks and regards,
Sheila Massey

That is neat. I was in undergrad at NC State from 1986-1990. 

Go Wolfpack!