The Mystic Wave
The Mystic Wave, Animal Activist/Healer
Experience:  Natural affinity for Animals. 36 yrs. exp. Natural Healing - Knowledge of Animal Symbology
6999

australian shepherd/Collie mix: My 16-year..16-year-old..tonight

Customer Question

My 16-year-old Australian Shepard/Collie mix has had hip problems for the past few years. When I got home from work tonight, she was unable to walk just a few steps and is obviously gotten tremendously worse. Her back is all hunched up like her hips are really hurting her. I may sound stupid, but does it sound like it is time to let her go? I love her so very, very much so this is very hard for me but she doesn't deserve me to be selfish and keep her going when she's unable to. I guess I need an expert to help me make this decision.
Thank you so very much,
Kelli
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
 This is a pretty tough question to answer and I really think that it's a personal decision that you must make.

I counsel people on this topic all the time, though, and I can tell you what I would tell them.

You should choose three things that your pet loves to do.  It might be riding in the car, eating cheeseburgers, going for walks, chasing a ball.  As he gets older or, maybe, sicker, he will cease being able to do these things that he loves.  When one thing is gone, like chasing the ball, it's ok because he might take up a new activity like sleeping in front of the fireplace.  However, when you can no longer find even one thing that he loves to do, it might be time to reevaluate the situation.

As far as guilty feelings go, you should not feel guilty if you decide that your pet is no longer living a happy, content, productive life and you help him to go on to a better place.  You have to remember all the good times that you have had with him.  We are lucky in that we are allowed to help our pets to move on.  Sometimes I wish that we could do the same for people.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Expert:  The Mystic Wave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you take your best friend to the vet's and get proper tests and x-rays before determining whether or not to put her down. I would seek out a holistic/homeopathic vet - she may need special treatment for this condition and natural treatment will help her greatly, to heal in body, mind and spirit. If it's time to make the decision - it's so important that you talk to her and let her know that you love her so  - But, first and foremost, talk to her and find out what she wants you to do as animals truly understand and communicate - especially being that she is your best friend, you have such a strong connection with her - thus, she will most definitely speak to you and she will take comfort in same.

I have listed several website links below that offer natural care, veterinary institutes, in your area:

† Veterinarian in Sacramento, Dog & Cat Veterinarians, Pet Animal Hospitals

A Holistic Veterinary Practice

I wish her the very best - and I pray for her healing - and know that my prayers and thoughts are with you as well.

Please take care.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave