Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat: stray..otherwise healthy..deformed right front paw (unsure

I just took in a stray 1 year old cat, otherwise healthy except for a deformed right front paw (unsure whether congenital or trauma related) Is reconstructive surgery possible? How would I find out?

Unless the deformity causes pain or impedes his quality of life, most vets will vote to just leave it alone.  You can make an apointment with your vet to be sure, though.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Hi--

Thank you for your prompt answer...I did see the vet today, for fiv/leuk testing, and vaccinations...he tended to concur with you, although we did not specifically discuss it...I guess what I wanted to know is, is reconstructive surgery even possible, or "doable"? My kittie seems to want to use the paw; it's just a little short of making contact with the ground...I like and trust my vet, but would be interested in consulting a specialist...how do I even begin to find a professional who might be able to see him and answer my questions about the nature of this injury, future problems, and correction options?

Anything is possible these days.  Keep in mind that it would be entirely cosmetic so would be more for your benefit than the cat's.  Although reconstruction could approve the appearance, it would probably do little to improve the functionality.

I suggest that you speak with your vet again because he can help you make this decision.  He can also make referrals based on your discussion and let you know if your goal is realistic.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you again...

The cosmetic issue doesn't really bother me...I just feel bad for the little guy, and thought that, even though he'll never be a champion tree-climber, making his leg at least a weight-bearing limb might take some of the stress off the other front paw...or would this not be the outcome? Can a cat who is used to functioning on three legs even be rehabilitated to use the fourth?

I don't think that would be the outcome.  At best, XXXXX XXXXX that  a vet would want to amputate the useless limb instead of trying to reconstruct.  Every situation varies, though, so your vet will be the one to tell you for sure.  If this is a birth defect and something that the cat has lived with for a long time, she may never regain or be interested in regaining use of the leg.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert