Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

A 2 yr old Golden Ret, that cant walk with its hind legs....

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old Golden Retriever and about 2 weeks ago, she started to become very lame in her hind legs. This started on March 3. She started to limp worse to where she couldn’t even walk with her hind legs. We thought that she got hit by a car or an object. It was very obvious that on Sunday the 6th, she was in very poor shape. Not being able to walk with her hind legs and not having much of an appetitie. I gave her a Duramax pain reliever pill on Sunday, which she threw up due to a sensitive stomach. On Monday the 7th, I took her into the vets office and had x-rays done. He didn’t see anything but thought that there still might be a chance that she was bumped hard, he gave her metacam for the pain. On Tuesday, there was no real relief with the metacam. I took her into another vets office on Wednesday (since my original one wasn’t available). This vet did x-rays as well and said that he thinks that there might be some type of trama between her 6 & 7th vertibra, and he wanted her to stay over night for dehydration and all, which she did. On Wednesday night my original vet and the other vet compared the x-rays that they both took, both saying that they maybe see some trama and both said that they were sure that she was going to be fine. He gave her a cortisone shot. Then came Thursday (3/10/05) my vet called and said that there was no change and said that I needed to take her to a clinic called Veterinary Specialty Center immediately, which I did. The doctor there said that she felt that there was some trama done as well and wanted to do an MRI, which she did. At the same time she also did a Spinal. Everything came back just fine. They put some type of pain relief patch on her hind leg and said not to take it off for 3 - 5 days. (probably Monday or Tuesday) I removed it this past Tuesday. She seemed to be doing better, she was able to walk around better but only on short spurts. I took her back to the vet on Tuesday, because she hasn’t been eating anything at all, really not much for the past week. The Vet Specialty Center wanted her abdomin check, which my vet did on Tuesday. During this visit she was walking around, acting like a 2 year old pup again. Then it all hit again. Wednesday morning when she woke up, she could barely walk again. I called my vet, he called the Vet Specialty Center to get the full report on my dog before he were to see her. Still no prognosis. I went to the vet’s office last night to get a shot for my dog for the pain. He gave me Torbugesic. I gave her a shot last night, which put her into a complete la la land, but seemed to ease the pain. I had to give her the shot again this morning. Which seems to be helping her with the pain, but she still can’t walk at all. This evening I had to give her another shot (1cc - per the doctor) She is in horible pain and literly falls to the ground when trying to walk. My husband and I have both said that we won’t keep one of our dogs alive to benefit us if they are in pain. But I can’t let her go right now. I’m hoping that someone can help me. My husband talked to our vet this evening and he said (the vet) that he’s not ready for putting her down right now and that he’s going to call about the patch that they had on her tomorrow morning. We have had blood tests run, x-rays done, an MRI and a spinal tap done on our dog and noone can tell us whats wrong with her. If we knew that she had an incurable disease then we would be morally able to put her down. But we don’t know. If you have every heard of anything like this could you please let me know asap. I have been crying non stop this evening and trying not to have to explain my tears to my 2 girls has been hard. I hope someone out there has heard of this or might have a suggestion. I pray that you do. Thanks for your time...Kim. If you heard of this, please let me know at: [email protected]
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

Kim,

Has the dog seen an orthopedic specialist or just a neurologist.

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Orhopedic specialist

Kim,

I will do some research...but I am afraid that you are seeing the best..and all they can do is refer you to a teaching university to get the best that vet med has to offer!

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I'll take what ever I can get at this point.

I'm just hoping someone will be able to give me some hope.

Please keep me posted if you come across anything.

We even thought that maybe it was lead poisoning, but our vet said that we would see some improvement by now if it was. We were also thinking that maybe she got bit by something, who knows. We just want her better.

If you could refer a good university, I would be happy to contact them or email them my situation.

Thanks for your time.

Kim

Your vet would refer her to Purdue Vet school! That  is your best bet...they have a huge staff of top vets in every field...so if it is toxicology, they have those too.
Please call and ask if the referral is possible...I will keep looking.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I call the Purdue Vet School and they had no idea as well. My sister in law in Northern Wis, forwarded all the info on my dog to her vet and he said that she has every symptom of Lymes Disease. After my vet and her vet talked they put her on medicine for the Lymes disease. The blood work on her should be back by Tuesday. Not saying that I hope my dog has Lymes Disease, but I do, at least now we will be able to help her out accordingly and finally be able to determine what she has.

Thanks for your time...Kim

Kim,

If it comes up positive for Lymes, I would be alittle upset at your vets...to say the least.  Tick borne disease and infectious agents should have been one of the first things ruled out...it is concerning that the test were not done initially.

There are several tick borne diseases that can fluctuate clinical signs...but I will wait to see what the results say, please let me know.

Dr.Vamvakias

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I'm supposed to get the Lymes test results by Tuesday, I'll let you know.

Thanks - Kim

Okay.

Dr.V