Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

what is it

Customer Question

my dog strtd getting pimples and then like crusty gray spots on him, my vet gave him medicine which i had to get refilled 3 times b/c it always came back..the vet did a skin scraping test which came back negative, but found yeast, when he examined it.. the vet gave him another pill called ketoconazole..my dog has been on the meds now for 3 days.. what could this skin disease be? My vet sd he would have to do a biopsy if this med doesn’t work.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 Pimples or pustular lesions suggest bacterial involvement. Can you tell me what the medication the dog was on 3x...while on the drug did the skin look better?

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: The vet thinks he has a staph infection, but since it keeps coming back he now thinks there might be an underlying problem such as mange?? I take extremely good care of my dog, I always thought mange happened to dogs that were uncared for or dirty.I'm not sure the exact name but one was a steroid and other was an antibiotic, 3 sets of each, the "staph" went away but as soon as he was off of it, it came back. They also gave me a medicated shampoo to use.. I noticed that this time he is losing some hair around his neck and underneath his haor is gray crusty skin. I will call the vet tomorrow and reply again what the exact meds he was taking, thank you so much for your help.

Thanks...I do need to know type/dose/how long.

And I hope they told you to watch your dog on ketoconazole because of liver issues.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: all they sd was to watch if he throws up or has excessive diarrhea, nothing about liver.. What are symptoms i should look for?

The vomiting and diarrhea are the initial signs...it can cause gi problems and can be hepatotoxic (liver toxic) so they may mention after 2-3 weeks of use, the need to check the liver values.

And in my rush to respond...I never asked the breed and age of your dog...

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: He is 2 years old.. He is a greyhound/boxer mix.
 Did you find out the name of the medication?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: The steroid is pregnazone which was given for 5 days then every other day til gone, there was 8 pills.. Along with that every time he was given the first time baytril, second keflex, and 3rd prylor (not sure if spelled correctly)for 2 weeks each... I called the vet today b/c he had a weird cow maneur smell to him.. they askd if that yeast pill was helping, which it hasn't so they are doing a biopsy on wed. to find out what it could be..

I agree that a biopsy would be beneficial. The only other suggestion I have for you is that boxers are very prone to allergies and underlying food sensitivities so don't rule out chronic bacterial infections from underlying inhalational/food allergies.

Also antibiotics on the skin should never be done for less than 3 weeks. Two weeks is not a long enough time to treat skin.

Go for the biopsy.

I recommend putting the dog on Z/D food, starting antihistamines (Hydroxyzine) and DermCaps (Omega Fatty Acids)..then if it comes back bacterial...I would do Cephalexin (KEFLEX) 2-3 times daily for 3-6 weeks.

You have to remember...skin is the body's largest organ. It is one of the hardest to treat...and it takes twice the drug twice as long!!

Good Luck,

Let me know how it goes.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thanks for your help! Where would I get Z/D food?? Also during the summer last year they gave me a bottle of omega fatty acid to squirt in his food to help with his skin. Can I also get that at a store.

Much like our vitamins...the quality depends on where you get it...you can look for the fatty acids at a petstore or vet office.

The Z/D is a synthetic protein dog food from the vet....it isn't fish/lamb/deer/etc.  You start with that as a removal of aobut 95% of possible food allergens...you also stop treats...use it for about a month and then you can reintroduce proteins...like a fish and potato diet.

I wouldn't start anything until you talk with your vet...they may disagree on something...and remember I can't see your dog.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Well I got the results in and they said its allergies, they suggested I take him to a Dermatologist so he can give hi an allergy test to pin point it and then possible get him on allergy injections.. This is going to cost me 400.0.. My dog broke his leg in june of 2003 and I spent over 1,000 on that..I don't think its necessary to take such a drastic measure.. She talked to me about the z/d food diet. The Dr. sd he doesn't think its food allergies b/c he just developed it this past winter, and sd he should have had problems before if food allergies were the cause. They didn't say anythign about putting him on meds, or the omega fatty acids, they just pretty much sd go to a dermatolagist. I told them I want to try the z/d foods first. What are some other things I could buy @ a pet store that could help his skin, or possibly a certain detergent I can use to help w/ my allergic dog?

Well, I disagree with the food allergy issue because they come up at different times and your dog is a Boxer and 2 yrs of age!

I would do the z/d; I would request a month of hyroxyzine (antihistamine that is better than benadryl) and the omega fatty acids. For baths I would use a chlorohexidine based shampoo which helps kill both bacteria and yeast.  Then I would see what happens within 30 days.  It should total at about $85/month...but it is cheaper than $400. See if your vet will not let you "try" this...and let me know how it goes!

DR.V