becat
becat, Lifetime animal lover.
Experience:  I don’t have pets, I have furry family members.....and a lizard. same fish 10+yrs.
7916

dying birds

We have our backyaed certified as a backyard habitat and especially enjoy feeding the birds. For the past 2 or 3 months we have had a flock of brownheaded cowbirds hanging around. I have tried to discourage them and took down some tray feeders and replaced them with smaller feeders to no avail. Then we began to find dead ones here and there. A couple of days ago we found a dead cardinal and 2 dead sparrows! We have taken down every feeder and sanitized them and the fountains, but we are still concerned to even put them back as we have recently aquired a small flock of baby chicks and ducks. Is there something going around here, we live in North Texas, just outside of Dallas in Denton County. Please help!

HiCustomer

I live in the same area of Texas. If you still have any of those dead birds around or find new ones I would call the Denton County Extension service.

They will likely want one of the birds, if not all to test them. West Nile Virus is most likely to be of concern in the late summer and fall, but no need to put yourself at risk. With the warm weather we been having it's always a possiblity.

The extension service is a very helpful source for you. Take advantage of their knowledge and their help for this one.

I have listed the phone numbers and vital information for you below. I found it on the DentonCounty.com website.

Denton Government Center 

Address:

306 North Loop 288, Suite 222
Denton, TexasNNN-NN-NNNN/FONT> 

Phone:    

940) 349-2881(Metro)

Working Hour :

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
[email protected] 

Good Luck and I hope you get an answer from them soon.

becat, Lifetime animal lover.
Experience: I don’t have pets, I have furry family members.....and a lizard. same fish 10+yrs.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to becat's Post: I did call XXXXX XXXXX the county agent and have gotten no reply, I had to leave a message. We havent found a dead bird the past couple of days, but are not yet filling our feeders. The brownheads are still hanging around.
Another possibility depends on whether your bird feeding
has irritated any of your neighbors. I have seen cases where
a bird hater has left seed contaminated with Diazinon in
areas where birds congregate. Diazinon is a cholinesterase
inhibitor, that is, it functions like a nerve gas in birds.

If you live near a golf course, sod farm, or actively
landscaped area where someone has used Diazinon or a
lawncare product containing it, it might be unintentionally
poisoning the birds.

I found a web site with a lot of details for you, http://
www.mercola.com/2001/may/16/pesticides.htm Note that
they state that the majority of pesticide bird kills take place
in February and March in southern states. It also mentions
other pesticides of interest.

I would love to hear how things unfold as you investigate. I
hope you are able to remedy the situation.

Best wishes,
Nick
 Many times when you find that many in a short period, it is a pestiside...usually from bait boxes for rodents that the birds go into. West Nile usually has the worst effect on corvids....which is crow, jays, ravens etc...ducks usually aren't as suseptable though can still get it. Thats why I'm thinking more that it was a pesticide. I would, if you do find any more, take them into your city health lab...they will have a drop off and ask to be contacted on the results.