Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Pug: because of not eating and walking very slow and weak..antibiotics

Customer Question

My Pug was sick in Jan., we took her to the Vet. because of not eating and walking very slow and weak. He said she had a temp. of 104 and put her on antibiotics. She got well and acted normal until now March 15th., sick again. She still eating but weak and walking slowly with a frown on her face. Took her to the Vet again yesterday and her temp was up one degree, he place her back on antibiotics and said if she doesn’t get better he will do blood work. My Pug is nine. Do you think she could have cancer? She hollars when she jumps off the sofa or when I move her... Please give me advice on what to do. Thank you, XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

I would take her back and have bloodwork done tomorrow. At nine, there are to many things that can be missed. And even though it looks the same, it could be a totally different problem. I would get the bloodwork done and possible abdomenal radiographs..to see if there are masses or changes present.   Cancer is always a possibility...but don't worry too much, just don't wait on antibiotics since she is vocal about pain and depressed!

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you so much Dr. Vamvakias,
My husband was the one that took her in to the Vet. and I ask him, why in the world didn't you demand bloodwork right then and there? But I guess he felt since this Vet. has been our Pugs and other dogs Vet. for over 30 years that he has all the faith in the world in him. However I on the other hand know that we can all make mistakes and in her case I feel this is one of them.
I thought this evening she was better but tonight she is shaking like she is cold and walking very slow again. I am calling our Vet. first thing in the morning.
We have had one Pug with cancer and she was only three but we could feel the lump in her stomach. And it just scares me to death to think that this could be what's wrong with my nine year old.
Thank you again so much, you may have saved her life.
Sincerely,
XXXXX XXXXX
Chesterfield, Va.

Brenda,

Please let me know how it goes. We tend to try to save people's $$ since sometimes when we recommend testing the owners will decline.  Then if the bloodwork is normal, they get mad. The thing to remember is if the bloodwork is normal, we may not know what the dog is struggling with...but we can rule out a ton of problems...liver,kidney, pancreas, diabetes, etx.

Let me know!

Dr.V