Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Joey is sick

My 6 year old pomeranian/chihuahua mix haven’t been able to eat in a week. He’ll try to eat but shows signs of nausea. He’s able to drink, does not appear lethargic, but he’s stomach does feel bloated. What do you think is his problem? I will call his vet first thing tomorrow but hoping that I can get some answer before then. Thank you.
 I would keep him quiet and just keep a close eye on him giving frequent small amounts water. Should he get worse...start vomiting or act listless then he needs to be seen tonight...it could be anything from gas to a tumor so I would wait til you se the vet.
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.

Is Joey currently on any medications?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: He's on IV fluids given once every 24 hours by me.
 The fluids are given thru a catheter? Why is he on this treatment? Has he been diagnosed with a problem...like his kidneys?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Yes and yes. My previous reply did not go through due to internet connection break up. Sorry.
 It the second yes is to kidney disease, they are prone to ulcerations and nausea from kidney disease...did your vet give you medication for this??
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Joey was diagnosed w/ "renal failure" (from my understanding is a kidney disease). During his 4-night stay at the hospital he was given along with the fluids, ampicillin and pepcid. The vet has not prescribed any medication since then. He is on special kidney diet food that he's gradually eating. May take for him to get used to.

If he has any more pepcid...you need to use it, if not you need to go to the store and get some. For now you may want to give 1/2 tsp of Maalox and see if Joey can keep it down. Repeat the maalox in 4 hours.

The Pepcid is twice a day. Hopefully once that settles his stomach, you can get him to eat.

DR.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I greatly appreciate your answer. Have a Happy Easter.

-Bernie

You too, let me know how it goes.

Dr.V