Dr. Katie
Dr. Katie, Dr. Katie
Experience:  Internet Consulting
25316

german shepherd: blood work..x-rays of his hips and spine..rimadyl

Customer Question

my german shepherd is losing control of his right hind leg....the vet ran complete blood work and urine work...took x-rays of his hips and spine and sees only a slight development of arithis...he is on rimadyl...and he is 13yrs old...help..what could be wrong?
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 There's sounds like there may be a slight impingement thats causes the lameness. If it doesn't improve on the rimadyl or worsens then having a veterinary neurologist do some testing would be the next step.
Expert:  Dr. Katie replied 11 years ago.
Hi There,
Due to age and breed I would be concerned about myelo myopathy, or a degenerative spinal cord. It is a disease that affects the white matter of the spinal cord and is progressive. Often it will start as a lamensee behind, then progress to incoordination at the walk. Please have your vet dio a complete neurological exam to rule out this disease.
Dr. Katie
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to www.askthedvm.com's Post: Is there anyway to treat or slow the progress of the disease?
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
  Glucosamine can help and also steroids but the only way to know
for sure if thats her problem is by a neurologic exam like I mentioned
in my first post....Glucosamine definately can't hurt though.

Hi There,
Since you addressed your question to me, I will answer it for you.

Myopathy is termed a 'profressive degenerative disease" so it is not cureable. Sometimes results are seen with high doses of Prednisolone, but generally a good response is not seen as the fibers of the spinal cord are wasting.   AA dog will actually be able to run better than he can walk in the more advanced stage, as fine motor coordination, likr that necessary to walk, is lost first.
I hope that I am wrong about your dog.
Good Luck,
Dr. Katie