Dr. Katie
Dr. Katie, Dr. Katie
Experience:  Internet Consulting
25316

pomeranian: I took her to the vet where she was x-rayed and found

Customer Question

My pomerianian has recently started to have problems waking and will suddenly fall over. I took her to the vet where she was x-rayed and found that she has some problems with some discs in her back, but the vet was not convinced that was causing the problem. He also mentioned the possibility of a stroke. Her exact age is not known because she came to us as a stray about four years ago. She does not seem to be in pain and is eating and drinking normally. Thank you for any help.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Any time that I hear that a dog is suddenly falling over, I immediately think of a heart condition, particularly if the dog is not on heartworm prevention.  If it happens more when she is excited like when you arrive home from work or when you take her out to play, you will want to speak with your vet about any heart conditions that might be present.

Also, with vestibular disease, the dog will present with stroke-like symptoms.  They might walk in circles, fall over or hold their head an unnatural angle.  If you suspect this, you can speak with your vet about medication to treat any inner ear infections.

I hope this has helped.  Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for your response. I do think my vet checked her out pretty well and never mentioned anything about a possible heart problem. Her falling over seems to happen randomly and not when she is excited or being exerted in any way. I was wondering if her lameness was being caused by back problems if there was any medication that would help or even trying acupuncture as I know of a holistic animal hospital. Thank you again for your answer.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I accept.
Expert:  Dr. Katie replied 11 years ago.
Hi There,
When a dog has suffered a stroke, there is always nystagmus, (fast eye twitch in the direction of the lesion), present.
Dr. Katie
Dr. Katie, Dr. Katie
Experience: Internet Consulting