Oliver’s Mom
Oliver’s Mom, Prof Trainer & Behavior Counselor
Experience:  20 yrs Trainer/Behavior/Rescue focus:dog/cat-human relationships;dog/cat behavior modification metho
56888

Golden Retriever: severe hip dysplasia

Customer Question

My Golden Retriever pup 7-1/2mos young was just xrayed and found out that she has severe hip dysplasia. The vet told me she has no sockets for the ball to fit into. I saw the xray myself. She recommends FHO. Abby weighs 63 pounds. My questions are (l) do you feel at her weight and condition that this surgery would help and be beneficial and (2) if it would help should both sides be done at the same time or one at a time. Thank you so much for your help
Category: Pet
Expert:  Oliver’s Mom replied 11 years ago.

This surgery recommendation would certainly be your best option and beneficial by providing your pup a greater quality of life.  There shouldn't be a need to perform the surgery on both sides - unless dysplasia is seen in that hip also.  If the hip does not show signs of any problems, you will still want to xray again when she two years of age.  This is the age that  will ultimately tell you if there is or will be a problem.

If your pup is strong and healthy, she should be able to handle this operation without incident during and through recovery.  I have also pasted below an informative website to tell you about the disorder and treatment.

http://www.lbah.com/Canine/hip_dysplasia.htm

Best of luck to you and your pup!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Hi, Abby's xrays show she has no socket on either side so they say to do both but one at a time that's why I wanted you opinion as to if it should be done all together and what success she'd have being 63 pounds. Articles I've read say to do it all at once to force her to use the legs afterwards.

Okay - it does make sense to perform the surgery on both hips now - at the same time - considering the other hip does not have a socket.  Much easier to do this all at once than wait - she'll only get older and the problem will only get worse.

The success of this operation is very high - especially if her weight is managed preventing obesity.  Most times the hip is 'as good as new' so her activity or exercise will not need to be diminished.

Before her surgery, be confident and secure by asking your vet as many questions or presenting as many concerns you may have.  Your vet should treat you and your dog as well as your would want your own doctor to treat you and your family! 

I wish Abby all the best in her operation and recovery - with years of fun ahead of her!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: thank you so much.
 You are very welcome!  Have a great day and we hope to see you return to Just Answer in the future!