ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

Sudden harden areas on my beagles back near hip area

Customer Question

My beagle is almost 10 years old, and they believe she has Cushings Disease and she has canine epilepsy. She has responded well to potassium bromide and is under no medication for Cushings. She does look like a pot belly pig. Recently on the rear of her back towards might be the back legs she has a hard raised area on both sides. One side is higher than the other It does not appear to be a lipoma, since I cannot feel anything there, but a very hard raised area about the size of my palm. Is there perhaps something growing inside that is pushing outwards and her abdomen is so large. She does not appear to be in discomfort when touched, but do to her large abdomen she has difficulty jumping on the bed and she seems to be more comfortable if she has some pillows elevating her head and relieving her stomach.   This has occurred in the last month. Is this hardening common or do we have something critical going on here like a tumor. We will not put our baby through surgery as we know her longevity has been lessened by her current medical conditions, yet we want to be certain she is not in discomfort.
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

I think the first thing is an exam with a possible x-ray to determine
if its nothing to worry about or something serious. I would limit her
jumping though because any undo jarring may add to her issues. The
potbelly look is common with cushings dogs but I would get an x-ray or
ultrasound to make sure its not a tumor.