Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

My Shar Pei

Customer Question

My husband has a black Shar Pei. His name isXXXXX 6 or 7 months ago he was hit by a car. We took him to the vet and 2000.00 dollars later we bring him home.We were able to pay, thank God that day. Ever since then he has been loosing his hair. At first I thought trauma related because he began to get it back, or maybe even a food allergy, but he has almost lost all his hair again and now on his back ,along his spine, and on his buttocks, is a light yellow looking cauliflower, crusty growth that is hard as rock. You knock it off and doctor it and the very next day it comes back. I have worked at a vet and never seen anything like this ever. His smell is horrible, and now he is loosing weight. We have been in a battle to keeep our son alive for months, and we are just out of money now, burdened with the bills. No vet around this area will help without paying the bill before you get the dog back. Our son is still very ill, and he loves this dog, if I just knew what it was and how to treat it. But with no one to help me I guess we are going to give him to the local vet and just give him up, with the hope he might help him where I cannot and then he can keep him or sell him. He has just been a part of our lives for so long and it is goig to kill us all, but sometimes it is better to let something go if you love them. If you can plz help me in some way. Thank YouCustomer
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 Has the skin been checked by a vet?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: The vets around this area will not work with you at all. Even the vet I have put out over 5000.00 dollars up front in the past 2 years with our dogs wont even see him without the bill up front and I have never owed him a dime. I am in such a delima, with our son sick and needing his medications and the hospital bills I just cannot right now. I feel like I am letting Farley down and guess I need to just let him go. It is hard, it is like letting go of a child.

How old is this dog? Does the dog scratch?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Farley is getting close to 5 now. (yrs.) Yes he does scratch. His skin does not look inflamed but one day his skin has a rosy red color to it, almost like a first degree burn looks, yet the next day it will be normal. I have used what we have got in the past with his allergies. I have used creams and spray for itching by Virbac. I thought it might be a type of mange, and it still might be but my other dogs are fine. One did show some excessive itching, but the virbac medicine worked on her and she is fine now.

It sounds like bacterial/allergy components. I dont think it has anything to do with the injury.  This breed has a terrible time with skin diseases...thyroid is another thing that would need to be checked.  Benadryl can help...on 25mg twice daily and any topical relief for itching. A good shampoo for mixed infection of fungal and bacteria is Selsun Blue.

Also start OmegaFatty Acids (fishoils) and Vitamin E on your dog...at Petsmart or other pet stores they have this vitamin mix for the skin...as long as the omegafatty acids are there...this should help the overall health.

Hopefully these things can help...until a vet is possible.

My prayers are with your family and dog.

Best wishes,

Dr.Vamvakias