ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

claws..her right eye is infected, and her third eyelid (

Customer Question

What should I expect when I get my cat’s front claws removed?? Also her right eye is infected, and her third eyelid (?) partially covers it, almost all the time....it seemed that it would get better and then go away, but come back...now it is all the time???
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

How long has it been like this?  Does she squint or is there discharge? How old is she?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: She had a cold when I adopter her from the shelter. She was on an antibiotic at that time. I do not remember the name (Sorry). I also took her to a local vet, and she was given a different antibiotic (don't remember the name of this either, good daddy huh?). Neither worked. She sneezes frequently, and yes there is clear discharge from this eye, I also will add that sometimes her eye is completely shut (especially after waking up). She has a good appetite, and I often call her my fat cat :) Oda Mae was born last July...so she is about 7 months old.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

If her eye is causing that much discomfort, I would be sure to get
whatever is bugging her taken care of prior to placing her under
anesthesia. Did they test for any or the feline viruses and how is she
on vaccines..for that matter, did they do any testing at all? Also, has
she been on any oral antibiotics? What color is the discharge from her
eye.

ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
When I got her from the shelter, she was supposed to have had all vaccinations. I assumed that all was ok. So yes she had her vaccinations. The antibiotics that she was on were both oral. The discharge is clear.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I don't know if you got my last reply or not, so I am trying again. She supposedly had all her vaccinations when I got her from the shelter. So that should all be good. Also the discharge from her eye is clear fluid.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

Ok well being the third eyelid is up consistantly I would be with something called Horners syndrome. You can read more about it from the below link:

Horner's or Haw's Syndrome

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Thank you. I wills speak to the vet about this when I take her to get her declawed.....but I don't know what to expect after I get her declawed...that was also one of my questions. How will she act when this is done?
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

What is her age?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: 7 months
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

Well the younger they are they faster they recover so she should be
fine. I would be sure to use either shredded paper or a product called
yesterdays news in her litter pan for about 2 weeks after the declaw
and it will help. The gravel in the litter causes issues sometimes so
using shredded papr or that other product lessens the chance of her
having problems but she should do well so don't worry!