Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

dogs: Tonight..my 10 year..10 year old..couch or my bed

Customer Question

Tonight i realized my 10 year old dog wasn't in the house( he prefers lying on the couch or my bed to any outside activity(other than chasing the ball)) I remembered that while i was working in the garage much earlier I had seen him lie down on the outside dogs bed.   Iwent out there and called him and he didn't respond. I went over and ran my hand down his back and he lifted his head and looked at me but wouldn't get up. I carried him into the house and put him down , he walked over to the couch jumped up and is just lying there. he wouldn't take any foood and when i look in his eyes its like he doesn't recognize me. Can anyone help me fgure out what has happened
Category: Pet
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
A couple of guesses...

First would be a stroke, although you don't mention your dog having any
physical difficulties (which might be expected from a stroke) -- does
he?

Poisoning (accidental or otherwise) also comes to mind.

I'm sure other specialists will have better input than mine, but I hope
that -- regardless of whatever input you may get here -- you get your
dog checked out by a Vet ASAP.

Good Luck!

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: I know of two times he had a seizure like things happen to him and he very much acts like my mom after having a stroke--sort of dazed, just wants to lie there, since i posted my first question, hes turned to the other side of the couch and i believe ate a piece of a brownie someone left there for him he even wagged his tail for me what causes a stroke? Thasnk

A stroke is brain damage caused by blood vessel leakage in the
brain.  It is caused by 'hardening' of the blood vessels which
happens with age.  The vessels loose their ability to stretch and
so they can weaken in spots and leak.  The symptons can vary in
type and severity depending on which area(s) of tthe brain is involved
and how exytensive the bleeding is.

About your dog's two seizures, were they recent?  Do you know what caused them?

Have you (or will you thaten your dog to the Vet?  What did they say?

Good Luck!

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: Steve. Thank you so much for the information. Unfortunately, at present, I am unemployed going through a divorce and pretty broke, so far I have been granted the three dogs and a daughter, so right this minute the vet seems "OUT" though i would do anything in my power for my pups. I found out my daughter and some others had given the dog "chocolate" bith times he seemed to be having a seizure, they were about one and two months ago. I told everyone to stop with the chocolate and everything seemed ok until yesterday. Today he has been getting up but not his usual self, he is however, EXTREMELY jealous of my time. Everyone keeps saying he is mad at me for being so busy lately.(He does actually walk up to me and stare then turn his back and lay down). I just don't think hes that clever he difentely seemed out of it? Once again I truely appreciate your time and knowledge.

Aisha
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

Aisha,

When dogs are prone to seizures there are several "phases" they can go thru. There is a pre and post phase of seizure activities...they don't have to have both or either, but usually do. The pre phases usually involve anxiety, fear, pacing, panting...it is their ability to "know" something is coming. This phase can brief as in seconds to several hours. The post phase is usually weakness and disorientation and this can last minutes to hours.  It sounds like what you describe is the post phase...so when you found your dog dazed...it could have been after the seizures.  I have had some dogs dazed for a day or so.

Chocolate usually causes excitatory behavior and in to great of levels seizures and toxicity...but it takes more than just a bite of brownie.

The course of action when you get to a vet is usually bloodwork to determine if there is an "out of brain" reason for the seizures like liver disease.  If they can not find a problem, it is up to you to decide if whether you want to start antiseizure medication.

As far as jealousy...dogs just realize when there normal schedule is changed...and that can be distressing, so make sure you are giving him so quality time.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr.V