ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

TERRIER: DIAGNOSED with cushings DISEASE ABOUT 7 YEARS

Customer Question

I HAVE A 16YR OLD TERRIER DOG "MAXWELL". HE HAS ALWAYS HAD A SEVERE HEART MURMER & HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CUSHINGS DISEASE ABOUT 7 YEARS AGO. ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO HE STARTED LEANING AGAINST THINGS. IN FEB. OF 2004 HE HAD TO HAVE AN EMERGENCY LENS EXTRACTION. HIS PROBLEM WITH HIS EYE LITERALLY HAPPENED OVERNITE. HE MIRACULOUSLY MADE IT THROUGH THE SURGERY. IN OCTOBER HE STARTED WALKING IN CIRCLES & HIS LEGS WERE SEEMING TO BE WEEK. I STARTED HIM ON ACUPUNCTURE & HAD GREAT RESULTS WITH HIS LEGS, BUT NOT THE CIRCLE WALK. IN DECEMBER 2004 I NOTICED THAT HE WAS NOT SEEING IN THE OTHER EYE VERY WELL. I TOOK HIM TO THE DR. & NOW HIS GOOD EYE HAS WITHING 8 WEEKS GONE ALMOST COMPLETELY BLIND WITH CATARACS. AS FAR AS EATING, HIS COAT & ABILITY TO TRY TO FIND HIS PERIMETERS HE IS DOING GREAT,BUT HE IS STILL WALKING IN CIRCLES ONLY TO THE LEFT. I DON’T HAVE THE HEART TO PUT HIM DOWN BUT I ALSO DON’T HAVE THE HEART TO WATCH HIM HIT HIS HEAD & HURT HIMSELF. COULD HE POSSIBLE HAVE A TUMOR DUE TO CUSHINGS & DO YOU FEEL GETTING THE CATARAC REMOVED TO ADD QUALITY TO HIS LIFE WILL SOLVE SOME OF HIS PROBLEMS. IS THERE ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME TO THESE PROBLEMS. I APPRECIATE ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO OFFER.    
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Well this poor old guy has been thru a bunch hasn't he. I had a cushings dog that lived til she was 18 so I kind of know what you're going thru. As far as the circling It could be a tumor but I would say as long as the circling isn't getting worse, he's eating and otherwise ok I wouldn't put him thru the surgery for the cataract at his age. Yes he bumps into things because of the sudden onset but you would be amazed how quickly they adapt...that is as long as you don't move things on him. He will quickly learn to bob his head a bit to judge where things are and to slow down. Good luck with your old man and let me know if you have any other concerns  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I GUESS I'M JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF BLINDNESS IS A USUAL ONSET DUE TO CUSHINGS. I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION THAT HIS EYES WILL DART BACK & FORTH IF HE IS CONFUSED. HE DOESNT SEEM TO BE IN PAIN, JUST CONFUSED. I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW WELL HE POSSIBLY COULD SEE IF I DO THE OPERATION. I GUESS I WILL JUST TRY TO MAKE HIM AS COMFORTABLE AS I CAN & LET HIM LIVE OUT HIS YEARS.

THANKS, LORI
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

well sometimes with age it will happen but not necessarily with
cushings. As far as the darting back and forth...It may have something
to do with the circling and dizziness which could be a vestibular
issue. This also happened with my cushings spitz. She had the
vestibular issue and it improved over about a 2 week period but then
she plateaued. She always had, after that a head tilt and would lose
her balance periodically but it never really worsened. Like I said, she
lived til she was 18...good old girl.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
THANKS AGAIN. XXXXX PILL HE COULD TAKE TO HELP WITH ADRELIN TUMOR OR PITURITARY TUMOR IF HE HAS ONE TO MAKE HIM MORE COMFORTABLE. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ALTERNATIVE MEDICINES.      THANKS
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

The problem is you don't know for sure if and where the tumor is so
that will be the determining factor. Here is a good site for info and
some options you have:

Cushing's Treatment In Dogs