Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Strange behavior from 2 year old Beagle

Customer Question

We have a 2 year old Beagle. She is jittery, not eating or drinking. She often switches from panting to shaking within minutes, back and forth. What do these symptoms mean?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Has she been outdoors alone?  In a fenced area or roaming?

Exposed to any poisons that you know of?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: She is an inside dog. When she goes outside, it's only for brief periods of time. It is a fenced in area.

No poisons are in reach of her, atleast that we know of.

She is also whimpering as well. We just took her to the vet last week, and he ran blood tests and nothing came back. Negative for heartworms. Said he "thinks" she has back pain and prescribed medicine for it. We have been giving it to her twice a day.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

What is the name of the medication?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Rimadyl - 25MG tablets. 1 every 12 hours.
Pill is a brown square with the letter R on it. We were prescribed 10. There are 4 left.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I hate to say it, but there are a lot of conditions that can cause the symptoms that you are seeing.  The first one that comes to mind is that this is a neurologic disorder.  The second thing to rule out would be a that she ingested a toxin or other irritant. 

Blood sugar fluctuations can also cause tremors and shaking.  If you suspect this, you can give a small amount of karo syrup on the tongue and see if she perks up.

I hate that I can't give you a more definitive answer but you need to see the vet to rule out liver problems and high blood pressure.

I think that you should see the vet first thing in the morning.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
We also noticed that she is producing milk, which has never happened. She is NEVER around other dogs, so there is no chance she is pregnant.

We can get her to eat Dog Biscuits, but not her normal food.

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

She may be having a pseudo pregnancy and be experiencing false labor.  It's rare but it does happen.  Keep in mind that even though she has not been exposed to male dogs and kept in a fence, there is a chance that someone snuck up on her.  I have seen dogs mate through chain link before.  It's not a pretty site but it happens.

Either way, you need to see the vet tomorrow to rule out a major problem, especially since she is producing milk.

Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 Panting and the behavior is also a symptom of pain. The couple things I would be concerned with being she's not spayed is a pyometria which is an infection in her uterus. The other thing is back pain. Ity can be diffuse and not show any definate signs aside from uncomfortable. I would if she continues to act the way she is or gets worse, get her in tonight in the the case its a pyo. If she seems to be stable I would keep her confined...limit her activity and don't let her jump up and down off things till you can get her in tomorrow.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I did take her in to the Vet last night and discovered it was low calcium. FYI

Thanks!
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Did they give you a reason for the milk production?

I am happy to hear that she is doing ok.

Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

Thanks for the update and I'm glad she's feeling better!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: False pregnancy is the reason for the milk production. The milk production is what caused the low calcium. So it all relates back to the false pregnancy, which should last a few more days.
Once that is over, we were advised, and will follow, to get her spayed.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am glad that you got treatment and that we were able to help.