Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

dog: to the vet several times..his back legs..hard time getting..lymes

I have taking my dog to the vet several times and they can’t seem to find out what is wrong with him. In a week he was having problems with his back legs and had a hard time getting up, he didn’t want to do anything. We gave him medication for lymes and he seemed a little better, but is still not the same. His back legs seem to still be bothering him, but he moves around a lot more. He has lost a lot of weight. He is drinking a lot of water and seems to have his stomach distended. The blood results showed nothing, but there is something definately wrong. At night, he paces around the bedroom. We have done xrays and they showed nothing. He is a lab mix that I rescued. Please, help. Are they over looking something...I don’t know what else to do. thank you, kristine
 What is his age? He tested positive for lymes? What other testing was done and the results?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: No, the test results did not show anything, but the vet told me that in this area he gets aprox. 30-60% positive results and never knows for sure if the dog has lymes or not. He did say that his urine was a little dirty and thought that the treatment couldn't hurt. Not sure of his age because I found him in 1998. The vet thinks he may be 7 or so. He is the most playful dog. Until recently he was very active. They thought it was old age but this came on within a week. He does have some fatty tumors. the vet said that it was not that...I am at a loss.
 I'm going to have our site vet try and help you on this one so please be patient until she gets back to you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: thank you. he is laying next to me and even now he is breathing heavy. I am concerned it is cancer even though the test showed nothing in the blood work. It's just the weight loss, sore muscles, drinking lots of water..just acting like a different dog. He just can't seem to get comfortable. He used to jump on the bed and slept while I was at work...he won't jump at all and is afraid of going up and down three stairs. He is still eating but not like he used to...he will even turn down his favorite treats. I have talked to three vets here. I live in a resort area and if I have to go to the city I will...I just don't know what to even try at this point. Thanks again.
 So your vet has just done xrays and some initial bloodwork? Have they recommended a trip to a neurologist??

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: No they have not done anything other than the initial bloodwork and urine and xrays. The lymes medication did seem to work a little, I was told by another vet to put him back on the antibiotics for an other week. It seems to be something with his muscles. I noticed today that he is walking funny too. Unsure.

To be honest, I think they are missing something and sitting around and waiting for a treatment to work for a disease you don't even know if he has...

You need to request a referral. I suggest a neurologist. YOu need to have it determined where in the neurological pathway your dog is having difficulty. Knowing the breed there may be a partial disc protrusion causing what you are seeing and the only reason there is some recovery is that he has been taking it easy.

Xrays don't always show anything...that is why I think you need to go the next step.  A very large population of dogs in N.England do have positive titers for  Lymes but do not have the active disease.

I really don't think it is a mystery illness, I just think you need to get a referral to the next level of vet.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX taking him back to the vet tomorrow and getting a referral.

Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you again...I will. I have noticed more and more problems today. He is swinging underneath. I think it's best to take him to a specialist at this point. I just wanted to make sure they were not over-looking anything obvious. Thanks again.

Let me know...

Dr.V