Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

cat: elevated enzimes in his liver.

Customer Question

my 5 years old male cat is not eating for 2 month, he lost a lot of weight. He has elevated enzimes in his liver. What can we do.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.

I am hoping he is under the care of a veterinarian...the cat has had something in two months or he would be dead..so I am wondering if the liver issue is primary or secondary to the liver.

Let me know.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: He spent a week in the hospital, he was on antibiotics and steroids for 2 weeks and nothing helped. Doctor indicated that we have to feed him, but it is very difficult to do. He makes himself get the food out of his system as soon as you feed him. He lost a lot of weight. We can make him eat chicken and ham, but very little and maybe ones every 3 days. He drinks some water and he goes to the bathroom ones every 3-4 days. What is wrong with him.

I am unsure if his liver disease is the cause or the outcome of another illness. Did your vet suggest causes for this?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Our vet was not very helpful, she gave us no information about why he was sick and why his liver enzimes were elevated. She charged us $1000.00 for lots of tests with no resolt. We moved to florida 5 month ago, first 3 month cat had no problem, he was eating and acting normally. Sandenly he stoped eating and was loosing weight. We are not sure if this has anything to do with our move or something else. We do not have a lot of history about our cat, we got him from the shelter. For now my husband if feeding him with surringe. Our can is moving around, he is slower than he used to be but still walking and playing sometimes. If we do not find any sollution to this matter, I think cat will die from starvation. He is acting like human with anirecsia (not sure if I spelled it correctly) Please any suggestion.

Again, I am unsure the cause with out having access to the records...BUT your cat needs a feeding tube. Please call your vet tomorrow and in the very least ask for a esophageal feeding tube be placed in the cat.  This  is done under sedation and the pretty easy to maintain. They should give you a food for critically ill cats and you mix with some water...also any medications and you tube feed until the cat regains some strength and desire to eat.  You are correct to be concerned about the cats eating habits. 

Dr.Vamvakias

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Feeding tube was one of the opptions doctor offered to us, but I would like to know why he is sick. Unless you know the reason for sickness, he may get better this time, but sickness will come back if yo do not treat it.

This weekend we took him back to the hospital because my husband found a round worm in his but. We got some deworming medication for him. But he does not want to take his meds.