Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

mystery lump

Mystery Lump
, my cat has had lymphoma for almost three
yeras. For 1 1/2 years he was on Leukeran
and
pred. Then his white count went too low and ,
he
was put on a shot of elspar once a month -
again for
almost 1/ 1/2 years now. Normally the elspar
is
used in combo with CCNU, but we just use
the el.
because his white count continued to be low.
Last
month his white count was finally up there, but
we
decided to still forego the CCNU.

He also gets 100ml ( with vit B) every day for
almost 5 years for crf. He will be 18 at the end
of the
March.

Last week I found a lump between his
shoulder
blades. I got ahold of it - it was longish thin
and
soft- not hard, not round. A few hours later, I
tried to
find it again - and I couldn't locate it. This past
Sat -
there is was again- and on Sun- I showed it to
my
hubby. This morning we went to the vet and I
found it
for her - and sorta- handed it to her. We
talked and
both felt it for a few minutes and then it was
gone
again. That was 2 hours ago and I still can
not find
it.

Of course in my worst nightmare - its vas, but
she
doesnt think so. ( her own cat had one).   We
decided to wait another two weeks and re
check it
again.   The only other problem he had in the
past
month was being constipated Fri night- before
the
lump showed up on Sat.

He is eating, peeing and pooping fine now.

Any ideas as to what it might be?- any one
ever had
a cyst like that - that comes and goes- a lump
of left
over fluid inside a pocket of skin? anything
Thanks MAW
 Does it have any correspondence to where you are giving the 100mls of fluid?

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I have had to move the location to give fluids
up higher on his body- of course I will   refrain
from doing that now. But after five years of
giving fluids - it is getting harder to find a place
that the fluids go in freely.
I do wonder if he has some pocket that fills up
with fluid.   thanks MAW

With giving SQ fluids for as long as you have, I can not help but think that the SQ tissues have had their fair share of trauma. I would not be surprised if mild pockets have been made where fluid could sit.  I don't think I would worry about the mystery, especially if it goes away...tumors and cysts dont go away like that...but fluid accumulations will.

Good Luck,

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you very much for your prompt reply. That is what we had figured out. The lump has not returned. And he will turn 18 this week!
MAW
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
MAW

Congrats on the birthday! Hope there are many more!!

DR.V