Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Abcess on body

Customer Question

My tabby male cat keeps getting abcesses on his body..what causes this? I live in the woods where he can get bitten by animals and insects..I search the wound by pulling on his hair, then this smelly yellowish stuff oozes out..then there is this small opening,,where i clean it daily and it gets better.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
 Has your cat been neutered?

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: yes, he's been neutered before the year old date arrived..he's only been this way since i moved to my new home for about a year and half now. None of the other cats are acquiring this problem..he is the protective one amongst the three..

If his problem is bites problems outside, the only way to ensure he doesn't get them is to keep him inside.  If it seems "recurrent" in the same spot, there may be a problem with his immune system and the inability for him to completely heal.

I do recommend a vet visit so they can "guess" what might be causing the abscess and then make sure he gets the appropriate medicine. The cause may not be bites but something else.

If there is ooze, you definately need him on antibiotics and they may test for FelV/FIV

Let me know if you have further comments or questions.

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you for your help.

You are welcome. Let me know how it goes.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HEllo, I didn't pay you for your services although it's been quite some time..I didn't fully understand how this site was usuable until i came back and asked for legal advice. Just to catch up on your responses, i did take the cat to the vet. He had a huge abscess on his spine, in which he made it worse by licking the wound deeper and wider. The vet gave me some liquid solution to heal his wound faster, kept it covered for about a week, but since then-nothing. which is good.HE's updated still and and in good health but no reoccurrences. I just wanted to thank you for your time, i want to pay you, but i'm not sure if you are still online or not. Let me know!