Dr. Katie
Dr. Katie, Dr. Katie
Experience:  Internet Consulting
25316

equine joint supplements

If you do not have an equine specialist, please just tell me and forget my question.
If you do have an equine specialist...here goes:

I have 2 Thoroughbred broodmares that need a very good joint supplement. As you know, there are hundreds of them, and I have tried a few with no results.

One mare is 13 yrs old and hurt her back by getting casted in a foaling stall. I do chiropratic exsersices with her and when she brings her head around to her shoulder, her neck pops. I had a chiropractor adjust her and it did help...but too expensive for my budget. I am about to try an equine massage therapist on both these mares also. We did xray this mare, her legs & feet are fine...her problem is in her back & neck.
For this mare, I want her to stop hurting so much and to try an keep arthritus from developing on her spine as she ages.
The other mare, also a TB is 11 yrs old and has been lame on & off for quite some time. Xrays showed arthritus in both hocks.

I am about to try the following supplements on both mares:
VitaFlex Equinyl CM and VitaFlex HylaMotion liquid.

Can you help me by giving me your opinion on these two supplements. Can you offer any advice? Would you suggest any other joint supplements to use?

Thank you very much for your time and help.
Hi There,
The best equine joint supplement on the market without a doubt is Cosequin. Also, it is best to double the dose for the first six weeks, which will hit your pocketbook, but it becomes more reasonable after that.

I am not impressed by any of the VitaFlex products (ie Flex Free), in fact, years ago they used a gold medal Olympic horse named "Gifted" as their 'spokesperson(horse)'.   Gifted lived on other products; he did not receive Flex Free.

The name "HylaMotion" implies that it has something to do with hyaluronic acid, which is a component of synovial fluid. (Remember, 'the spine' is not considered a joint.)

Also, you seem awfully nervous about your horses' spines. Horses often develop bridging of the dorsal spinus processes.......translated: arthritis of the spines of the vetrbrea, (the part that sticks out).

I assume that you are looking for a feed addditive and not an injectable, because Adequan once a week would be wonderful for the one with leg problems. Also, have you had her hocks injected ? That would be one of the best solutions and you could see the benefits for as long as six months.

Let me know if you have any more questions about specific products.

Dr. Katie
Dr. Katie, Dr. Katie
Experience: Internet Consulting
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to www.askthedvm.com's Post: Dr Katie,
Thank you...you answer helped me.
But I do have one more question...WHY don't you care for the products made by VitaFlex??
And, I would still like your opinion about the product Equinyl CM.
Besides Cosequin, IS there a joint product that YOU would reccommend?

I will talk to my vet about Adequan for the mare with the arthritus in her hocks.

Thank you very much.
Joanie D
Hi Joanie,
Historically, VitaFlex products just don't work.
Cosequin is the best joint supplement out there because it has both condroitin sulfate and glucosamine. There is a new 'copy cat' manufacturer on the market called GLC 1000(NNN) NNN-NNNN but I am not familier with its efficacy.

Regarding Adequan, it is a product that is injected in the muscle, used more as maintenance once the hocks have been injected with cortisone, etc. Adequan alone will not be of much help. It is a designer drug and will cost you between $85.00 and 100.00 per injection.

I've thought about your case and I believe that your horses could benefit from Robaxin and Naproxen just as much, if not more than from the joint supplements. Robaxin is a muscle relaxer and Naproxem is beneficial as an anti inflammatory.

Let me know if you have more questions,
Dr. Katie

Dr. Katie, Dr. Katie
Experience: Internet Consulting

HelloCustomer

I have had great success with Synovi EQ G3....comparable to Cosequin
and less expensive. It contains Glucosamine, MSM,
Creatine,Monoshydrate, Omega3 fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins and
minerals. Its a DVM product. Its definately worth trying.

ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to www.askthedvm.com's Post: Hi Dr.Katie,

Thank you again.
I sure appreciate knowing that the Adequan would be useless unless I have this mare's hocks injected with cortisone. I'll have to ask my vet about that...I beleive you really have to get those cortizone injections done perfectly or it won't help and may cause further damage?
Or am I wrong about that?

I will also ask about Robaxin, which as a muscle relaxer should help the mare with the bad back & neck...I am sure her muscles are all knotted up as she walks like her feet hurt, and I know for sure her feet (and also her legs) are fine.
I'll ask about the Naproxen also...an anti inflammatory would benefit both mares, at least until I get their pain under control.

As for the Vita Flex products...guess I'll just toss out the info I have and try something else. Maybe just go with the Cosequin...wish it wasn't so expensive!!

Another person answered my request and he suggested I try Synovi EQ G3. Never heard of this product, so I will reply to him for more info.

Unless you have something more to add, i guess this will do it for now.
Thank you so very much.
Joanie
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Hi ZooCVT,

Thank you very much for your reply to my request.

I have never heard of Synovi EQ G3. You said it is a DVM product...do they have a web site address you can give me so I can look at information, prices and maybe order some to try??
I would appreciate that.
Thank you,
Joanie D
 Here is 2 links with different sizes and prices...also one is
chewable tabs and the other has the granules and the tabs...also all
the product info.

Let me know if you need anything else!

PETCO.com - Product Details!

Synovi
G3 EQ

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Hi again and thank you so much. I'll visit the links you sent and go from there.

I also will talk with my vet about all this, and I may try having him use Legend on the mare with arthritus in her hocks.

Darn horses...hahahaha!!
Thanks again, and unless you have something to add, I think you have been a great help.
Have a wonderful weekend, ZooCVT.
 I hope it helps! You take care!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Thanks so much.
I visited the links you gave me and will talk with my vet about trying Synovi G3 EQ.
It seems to be a little different than the other joint supps, so I am interested in it.

I will also talk to him about giving the athritic mare a shot of Legend. My farrier was here today and he said he has several clients with horses that have arthritus in various joints, including hocks, and Legend worked wonders for them.

I really appreciate your help, and if you think I need to donate more money for your assistance, please let me know...my budget is so tight, but this was well worth it for me...a person needs several opinions to make a wise choice, I think.

You also take care....thanks so much.

I thought of another thing that may help and thats hydrotherapy. Here are some links so you can read more about it:

Equine Therapeutic Spas – Veterinary natural alternative for horse ...

Equine Natural Therapy.

Please note that when you have hocks 'injected' they are injected with Legend, a steroid and an antibiotic. I'm a little confused...........you originally asked for an equine especialist......I was a vet at the Atlantic Olympic Games, the 1999 Pan American Games and have been the attending vet for more 'A" Rated Hunter Jumper shows than I care to remember. I have worked on hundreds and hundreds of horses.
Dr. Katie
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: Thanks... I will look into that too.
Sure appreciate your time, ZooCVT.
Have a good weekend, and thank you so much.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to www.askthedvm.com's Post: It sounds like you think I am doubting your qualifications...not in the least, Dr Katie.
All I am trying to do is get as many opinions and suggestions and recommendations that I can...from qualified people such as yourself.
Then, I will talk it over with my vet and decide what route to take with this mare.
You have helped me a lot, and I appreciate it. You don't recommend using VitaFlex products, so I am not going to waste my money there.
Another helper here suggested a few other products and I am checking them out as well.
I think I am going to use the Legend, my vet has used it on quite a few horses here, and I had my farrier out here yesterday to trim the mares and he told me of a few horses that he trims that are on Legend and are now walking sound.

Once again, I thank you. If you have any more advice, please do reply.
If not, I will try and get back to you once I have my mare's on 'something' and let you know how they are doing.
Have a nice day and thank you very much.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I almost forgot... I am also going to ask my vet about using the Robaxin and/or Naproxen on the mares...I agree that the muscle relaxer will help the mare with the bad back. I am sure her muscles are in knots by the way she walks.
Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to www.askthedvm.com's Post: Hi Dr Katie,

I'll be getting with my vet next week (Mon 7th).
I think we'll try the Legend for the mare with the arthritus in her hocks. Will also try the Robaxin on the mare with the 'bad back & neck".
This Thursday I have an equine massage Therapist coming to work on both these mares.

Have you heard of a joint product called "Natural-FLX" (manufacturer is AVS). It's a liquid joint sup...would like your opinion if you know anytrhing about it...seems very affordable.
Cosequin is just too expensive for me..I cannot beleive the price on that stuff.

Anything else you care to add would be welcome.
Thank you so much.
Hi There,
There are so many joint supplements out there, I cuold not keep up with them if I tried, so, no, unfortunately I am not familiar with the one you mentioned.

I have a very simple philosophy, when I find something that works, that's what I use. In practice, I carry One brand of ear medication and one brand of medicated shampoo, because they work. Neither product has ever faoiled me.

Having said that, I go back to my original advice about Cosequin; it really works. The maintenance dose is not that expensive. You will find that Naproxen will probably cost about $3.00/day and Robaxin maybe $1.50, depending on what your vet charges. There really is just no getting around the expense. You have them living outside which is the best for arthriris, but maybe you need to re-think the 'broodmare' idea. Perhaps the added weight of carrying foals is just too hard on their bodies, but, in all honesty, most broodmares are horses that would be unrideable due to lameness.
Good Luck with your choices,
Dr. Katie
Dr. Katie, Dr. Katie
Experience: Internet Consulting
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to www.askthedvm.com's Post: Thanks again.
I appreciate all your help and will think again about the Cosequin...I also want to find something that will work & stick with it...the original reason for me asking.
If and when my mares get to uncomfortable carrying a foal, then I will retire them...so far, they have had no problems with that...no better or no worse in foal or not. Having these mares is a dream come true for me...but, they will 'tell' me when it's time to quit. I love my broodmares, especially the one that just turned 33 yrs old!!! (She's been retired for years now and she is doing great)
Thanks again, Dr Katie.