Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

addisons disease

My dog has addison’s disease, get regular shots from ver every 3-4 weeks, takes predisone ever day 10 mil, still does not seem any better, has weight loss, no apptetite & constant diarreah for 8 months. Is there anything else I can do?

Uncomplicated Addison's disease should be managed well with medications, has there been bloodwork done to better diagnose if another problem is present as well?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: yes we had blood work done 2 x by different vet, they both said blood work was good.. There only comment was they were happy to have found the addison disease or he would be dead. I feel they have given up, my concerns go unanswered. If this is his quality of life, I am not so sure he is so lucky!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
He has been getting the shots regularly for about 5 months now, was every 28 days, now every 20 days, they have increased dosage on shots and predisonne, no difference, seems like he dying a slow death! His stomach makes sping popping noise like he has gas, but this constant. he cramps, up..

I am concerned as well.  Pred can cause gi ulcerations which can make the cramping and intestinal issues...and cause anorexia.

I have an Addisons case as well and I don't use the pred unless the dog is having an episode.  I am concerned that your dog is getting both the injections AND pred.  Is your dog on ANYTHING else...to protect the stomach...like carafate?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: He is taking both, and what concerns me is that they paly with the dosage each month, increase to 20 mil, drop to 10 mil.. The dog has been vomiting the past few days and is not able to hold anything down. This happened a few months back, they gave him a shot for this. They blame this on us giving him table food, and not dog food. I have been giving him anything I can get him to eat, which is not easy. We tried for days not to give him table food, but he will go for days not eating. I can't let him starve to death, so I feed hom whatever he will eat. I try to push him to eat boiled chicken and white rice. We are at our wits end, he is not a young dog, he is at least 12 years old, we have had him for 10 years! I am desperate! He will need to go to the vet again if this vomiting doesnlt stop within the next day.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Sorry forgot your original question, NO he is not taking any other medications outside of the shot he was given once for vomiting, which they said could have been similar to "flu"

I truly think the vomiting is from the steroid (pred) which is very ulceragenic in the stomach. PLEASE call your vet TODAY and ask for CARAFATE AND REGLAN pills.  The carafate will help coat the stomach and cover any ulcers and the reglan will help with vomiting.  Let us start with that and see if we can control the stomach cramping if your dog feels better.

Dr.Vamvakias

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: DR.V.

Took dog to vet today, asked him for Carafate and Reglan, was angry I would second guess him. He had a fever so he gave him a shot of the Reglan, not pills, a shot of amoxicillin, Metoclopromide 10 mg, Primor tablets, and Sucralfate 1 gr. He asked that we not feed the dog for a day or two. I guess I should be happy he gave him Reglan. This dog eats his food and in less than 3 minutes is out in the yard with diarreah. He literally stops eating because he has to go to the bathroom, comes back in and sometimes starts eating again, if it is a good day. It is like it goes in one end and out the other. There has to be a better way to live. Should I see another vet? Am I being steered in the wrong direction because this guy doesn't know enough about this treat him. The dog suffered for 3 months and $1600 later, tested him for Addison's disease.

The good news is the Metoclopromide is the Reglan so you got everything you needed. You can use 1-2 tsp of Immodium every 12 hrs but be careful because if you are not feeding him the diarrhea quickly goes to constipation.

As far as Addisons disease, it is hard to both diagnose and treat. I would consider seeing a board certified internal medicine specialist.  If anything to review the current treatment plan and explain some of the long term issues.  I would ask for a referral appointment, your vet needs to not take it personally, these cases are hard to manage...and many times we miss underlying problems because we are stuck on one diagnosis.  Usually you can get copies of your records and just get a second opinion consultation...but it needs to be with a specialist, not just another vet.  If/when you request the referral, make sure your vet realizes that this is to further help your dog...you will still be using your vet or medications and follow ups.

Dr.Vamvakias

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I took the dog back to the Vet Thursday, he had been taking the med's for 4 days with no improvement. He suggested another round of blood work, more testing Lymes disease & heartworms. Gave home a shot of B12 and a Centrine injection so we could take him home Thursday.   Bloood work came back normal on Friday AM so he suggested I leave him for 3 days to Flush out his body and give him meds intervenously. He was given Dexamethasone 2 mg, Centrine Injection again, and Baytril. Saturday got a call to pick him up becaus he had bad diarreah and probaly should not be in the cage over the weekend. They FINALLY saw what we were talking about, there has been no change to his Bowel movements in 8 months but now they saw it first hand. There suggestion was to take him to an Internal Medicine specialist, because they don't know what else to do. I already had an appt on Tuesday night to see a specialsit but this made it easier since they thought it was there idea, they provided all the records easliy. My question is this, they want me to bring him back in on Monday, they left the catheter in him, for a 2nd Flushing. This week alone, the Vet Bill has been over $1,000, is this really necessary since I am going to see the specialist on Tuesday. It seems a waste of time and MONEY since he is no better, except the vomiting has subsided. I started giving him Pedialite to keep him hyrdated and reduce his water intake. Is is possible the water is making him vomit? We are now at the point of force feeding him, but somehow I feel he is constantly full becasue of all the water he is drinking. Within the first few hours of being home yesterday from the Vets, he drank at least 4-5 bowls of water that hold at least a quart or more each. So I have essentialy limited the I water hoping to get him hungry and when he does look for a drink I am giving him about 8 ounces of Pedialite. He is also shivering alot like he is cold, this oged in spurts, he could be fine one minute then start shivering the next.   Could he still have a temp?

The heavy use of steroids is causing the huge thirst. I would try to not restrict the water too much. If he is no longer vomiting, you could get away with not receiving fluids on Monday. I am VERY happy to hear they are sending him onto a specialist. You should get more concrete answers and options.

Let me know how it goes.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Is it safe to continue giving him the Pedialte and how much would be ok. Should he be given that in place of his water a 50/50 split? Can I do any harm giving him too much Pedalite? Is there such a thing? And why does he break out with this sudden periods of shivering. It looks as though he is freezing, but the house is warm, when laying down he is been coverered with a blanket. These epsiodes are scary.

Pedialyte is not recommended unless the dog is still vomiting. I would decrease and stop giving it if he is no longer vomiting. The problem is that Pedialyte is full of electrolytes, and that is partially what is wrong with Addisons disease, so you may be complicating the problem.  The shaking can be from the drugs...you may want to buy him a sweater and see if it helps, but I don't think it is temperature related, I think it is drug related.

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian