Oliver’s Mom
Oliver’s Mom, Prof Trainer & Behavior Counselor
Experience:  20 yrs Trainer/Behavior/Rescue focus:dog/cat-human relationships;dog/cat behavior modification metho
56888

health problems

Customer Question

i am looking for a small, non/little shedding dog for a house pet. i am interested in bichons, maltese, lhasa opsas, poodles, cairn or silky terrriers, or schnauzers or even mixed breeds of these mentioned breeds. can you tell me which of these are prone to any serious health problems. thank you very much for any help you can give.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Oliver’s Mom replied 11 years ago.

All dogs will shed somewhat, however the choices you have stated are the 'best' when it comes to very little shedding - the terriers will shed a bit more than the others.

Any purebred dog is prone to more health problems than a mixed breed.  But it does have a lot to do with the breeding - those bred for the right reasons (to maintain and improve the breed staying away from breeding dogs with poor temperment or ailments).  So if you are looking at any purebred dog it is extremely important to research and find a responsible qualified breeder - no puppy mill or pet store dogs for example. 

Besides non/little shedding, you should also look at characteristics of the individual dogs you have mentioned.  A schnauzer's temperament is far different from a maltese.

Do not really on facts such as someone you know has a cairn terrier and it's a 'sweetheart' - you need to educate yourself on all aspects of the breed in general and weigh the pros and cons of each one.  A good example is - schnauzer's are known to bark a lot.  Well, I had a schnauzer that very rarely barked!  Or bichons are the most gentle dogs - I've cared for a few that had terrible temperaments!  So again, responsible breeding is key when looking for a new dog and educating yourself not only regarding the breed(s) but also the specifics on 'raising puppy' to be a well mannered dog for the future is equally as important.

Purebred's are great, mixed breed's are great - it comes down to a personal decision for many.  Great question and I'd be happy to continue to help you any way I can.

All the best,

Experience: 20 yrs Trainer/Behavior/Rescue focus:dog/cat-human relationships;dog/cat behavior modification metho
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: thank you very much. these are the things i already thought to be true but your confirmation helped.

thanks again for your reply.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

In my personal opinion, poodles are the best as far as non shedding and
very bright dogs. They do require grooming but this goes with any breed
that doesn't really shed. As mentioned above, anytime you go with a
purebred, you will run into many more congenital issues...no matter
what the breed compared to a mix. The thing with mixes is unless you
are sure of the mix...like a schnauzer/poodle(schnoodle) or any othe 2
of more mixes that are non shedding then you can't be sure. Just my
opinion

Expert:  Dr. Katie replied 11 years ago.
Hi There,
In response to you question regarding "health problems".............Bichons are bladder stone factories as are Schaunzers; Bichons moreso. Maltese dogs can have problems with chronic tear staining that requires them to practically live on tetracycline after one year of age. If given table scraps, Schnauzers are prone to pancreatitis.
Bichons and poodles do not shed, as they have hair rather than fur. Llasas and poodles can have chronic ear problems, though not a reason not to get one. A silky terrrier will require dental prophylaxis more than any of the other dogs, sometimes starting as early as two years of age. a poodle is most likely to have heart problems as it ages and may have 'legg perthes disease' when young or luxating patellas that require surgical correction.
I hope that I have helped to answer you original wuestion.
Good Luck,
Dr. Katie

Alla re nice little dogs that require grooming, which is an added expense. But, healthwise, I think the terrirers are the sturdiest, followed bt y the poodle.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thank you for your response. it has given me needed information. it seems most of dogs will have some problems just as humans do as they age.
i appreciate this information and any more that your readers may have to add. just looking for a good house pet with little maintenance and good temperament.

thank you again.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

Good luck in your choice!