Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

anal gland excreations

Our adopted, 4 year old, female dog, pit-bull mix, has problems with her anal glands (sacs) excreating just about every other day. We've been giving her extra fiber in her diet to harden her stools, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. We either smell it (YUK!)and/or she scootches across the floor to excreate them herself. They are NOT infected, nor do we want to surgically remove them. We give her dry holistic dog food(s) and her stools are indeed normal. According to our vet, who has manually expressed them quite often, said that her stools will need to be even firmer than they are now so that the glands will excreate this smelly (fishy odor) substance only when she has a bowel movement. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to firm up her stools?

Have you tried expressing the glands yourself at home or having the groomer do it on a regular basis?  The groomers will do it as a part of their bath so you could not only have a clean dog but he would have the anal glands expressed on a regular basis.

Some dogs have good success with a BARF diet or raw food diet while this is going on.  I can send some links to you with BARF recipes if it would help.

You can always just opt to remove the glands completly.  Most dogs do well without them.

You also need to be sure to keep her weight down.  The fatter the dog the less the anal glands will express themselves.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Hi Tammy!
Thank you for your response! Yes, we try to express her glands ourselves, but it's usually too late as she has already expressed them or they just ooz out themselves! (YUK!!). Would the "BARF" diet bulk up her stools? Also, we read a lot about adverse affects on the surgery and we do not want to risk her losing her bowel control for something that is just a stinky problem (nothing serious as of yet). Her weight is perfect, however, I already heard of keeping an eye on weight for this situation. Would rice bulk up a dog's stool? I remember when I was a kid and had loose movements, my Mom would give me rice...wonder if it works for dogs??!!??!!

Rice will not hurt a dog when used in moderation so it's worth a try.  You're probably thinking of the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce, toast.  It's used when children have diarrhea to keep fluids up. That's probably why your mother gave it to you.

As far as the BARF diet goes, it's been compared to Adkins that people go on that DOES cause some constipation and hardened stools.

Most dogs do just great with the saculectomy.  Very few of them have trouble with bowel incontinance.  The ones who do are managed with weight control and high fiber diets.

I agree that it's a messy problem.    It's even worse when the dog gets scared and sprays all over the place.  The scent will last for weeks.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hi again, Tammy!
Could you please send me some links to the BARF diet as I have never heard of it!
Thanks again!

Sure thing!  One of the components of the raw diet is not vaccinating your pets ever again. I happen to be against that and feel like people should continue to see their vet for routine exams and at least titer's to determine whether or not their immunities are up.

Here are a few sites to take a look at: 

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

I hope this helps!

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: WOW, IS ALL OF THAT SO VERY INTERSTING! WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN? And to think I thought I was doing a good deed with Amber's holistic and natural dog foods! This is a lot to digest, but we will certainly take all of this into consideration! Thank you once again for your time and guidance!

I am still open for others to respond to my original question...there a alot of intelligent people out there with GREAT ideas!!!    :)

Have you considered having her anal glands surgically removed?  My dog recently had this surgery.  He was also suffering on a constant basis and it really started affecting his quality of life.  We finally opted for the surgery and I'm so glad we did!  If you chose to go this route, make sure the vet has specific experience in this procedure to avoid any possibility of side effects from the surgery such as fecal incontinence.

If you would like further information on this surgery, I'd be glad to help!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: I want to thank you for your input, but as I have stated in my original note, we do not want to have the sacs surgically removed as we have heard and read MANY HORROR stories of post op. I was, however, very please to hear of your positive experience and ofcourse if her sacs become infected or affect her quality of life, then ofcourse we'll consider this option.
Thank you again for your response!

I'm sorry for not reading your original question thoroughly.  Yes, the surgery does have risks - I think it all depends on the vet.  However I respect your opinion of not opting for it.  I think you hit the nail on the head when you stated to wait until it affects her quality of life!

I wish you the best of luck with your pooch and truly hope you find something that works!