Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

Feline with dry peeling nose

My beautiful Russian Blue cat (Pancho) seems to feel terrific, but his nose has looked dry and scaley for at least two weeks. He is 6 years old , 4-paw declawed and is strictly indoors. He's up to date on all his shots and is as loving and playful as ever. We live in South Florida, so there have not been any temperature extremes. He's the only pet in the house. What should I do?
Has she been eating and drinking ok?

Well, here is the problem with this situation. Pancho could just have a dry nose and need a short course of Bagbalm (pet department of Walmart) applied to the nose.

BUT...dry noses are sometimes our first indication of something wrong with the cat.  The nose is a delicate asset to the animal and when things change there, vets like to know about it. Thyroid and other endocrine issues can initially manifest with dry scaling noses...but so can immune-mediated skin disorders... And lastly viral issues.

It is up to you how you would like to proceed. Some people like to wait and see if it goes as quickly as it comes...

If you see any lesions around the eyes, mouth, pads of the feet,ears, or rectum...I would make an appt to see your vet.

Dr.V

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl's Post: Yes, he eats, drinks and poops just fine.
Hello again,

Thank you for answering my questions...Here's what I found.
After consult with our clinic Veterinarian, I was informed that considering the statement that this is the only symptom to currently present, it is likely caused from a typical cold virus, or changes in the weather.

Even though you stated "no extreme change" to the weather, a cats delicate nose can be more sensitive to even slight weather change, that we humans may not typically notice.

Suggestion was to apply aloe vera cream (or similar) to the dry area, and see how he reponds.

*NOTE*If any other symptoms appear, or abnormal behaviour is noted, you need to get him in to the Vet for a definite diagnosis.

I hope this will help to address your concerns, and if you need anything further, please write again so someone can assist you.

Take care..
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl's Post: Hi Cheryl, thank you for your response. I received a similar response (just a little more detailed) from Dr. Dana before I received yours, and I have accepted her answer.