Oliver’s Mom
Oliver’s Mom, Prof Trainer & Behavior Counselor
Experience:  20 yrs Trainer/Behavior/Rescue focus:dog/cat-human relationships;dog/cat behavior modification metho
56888

need help

Customer Question

I have two 4 yr old Bichon, male and female. I have been having problems with them throwing up bile several times a week. The bile is yellow and has mucus, no food. My male gets this way in the mornings. We have been giving 50mg tagament 2x daily, does not help much. My vet does not seem to be able to put his finger on the problem. They have no problem eating, please help
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cheryl replied 11 years ago.

Something to consider may be Coronavirus. This is sometimes called "corona," is a viral intestinal infection of dogs which is usually of short duration.

However, it may cause considerable discomfort to the dog for a few days. The cause is a virus of the Coronavirus family,and general treatment is to let it run its course, typically within a few days, and be sure to push fluids to ensure proper hydration.

Be sure to see veterinarian care promptly if your dog has vomitting or diarrhea that does not stop in a few days or is associated with "significant" lethargy or refusal to eat.

I hope this might help to assist your concerns.

Take care, and I wish you the best for a speedy recovery!
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If your pets are throwing up bile, it's probably because they have an empty stomach.  There may be an underlying cause so it should certainly be looked into by a vet if the symptoms persist.

You can first try switching them to a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice or boiled hamburger and rice for a short time and see if it helps.  Eliminate all treats during this time.  Offer this to them a few times a day and even at night.  It will keep the stomach from getting empty thereby (hopefully) preventing the bile vomit.

When it improves, you can start adding a little of their regular food in with the rice.  Continue this until you have phased out the rice completely.

Most pets need to be fed at least twice a day. The blood sugars in these little dogs can drop quickly when they don't eat and that might be why you are seeing the vomit in the morning.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl's Post: Cheryl,
Thank you for your response, my dogs get water,all day, and drink plenty. This problem has been going on for several months. Their behavior is good.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Tammy,
Thanks for your reply, I feed twice daily, give small milkbone twice, one just before going to sleep for the night, have done the rice and chicken treatment, and helps for a short time, this has been going on for months on and off between the two of them.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If the chicken and rice treatment helps, it must be something in their food or schedule that is causing the vomiting.  I would try the altered diet again and, this time, when you start to phase in the dog food, eliminate the milk bones completely and see if it helps.

Good luck!

Expert:  Oliver’s Mom replied 11 years ago.

If I may intrude...

This isn't too uncommon- I've cared for several Bichon's with the same problem along with one of my own dogs.  My suggestion is to break up the total amount they eat in one day into several small amounts throughout the day.  The last meal should be given only an hour before bedtime.  (this last meal is the key to alleviate the morning sickness).

If they woof down their food quickly, place a canned good or large rock in the center of their food bowl.  This will make them eat around the object - slowing down their intake.

This simple meal plan will make a big difference - I hope you give it a try!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
It appears as though the mucus is also involved in
the vomiting, would you think that this contributes as well.

Yes, I do.  Two other things I'd like to mention for this type of problem - a diet of duck and potato has helped some dogs; and -

This is more than likely not the case however liver disorders can produce bile/mucousy vomit.  So if you haven't done so, it may not hurt to have blood tests run on both dogs. (brother and sister I assumed - so testing to rule out genetic factors).

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I have tried a number of the remedies offered and usually get temporary relief, would like to repost
my message and get more input. The vomiting happens 1-2 times per week, since the end of November I documented 13 times with the male.

One point I would like you to keep in mind that changing the diet regimen, diet itself, any treatment plan really needs to be tested for 2-4 weeks (preferably 4 because I've witnessed enough 'last minute' improvements). I wanted to point that out just in case - I didn't know how long you've tried/tested anything...

I see there's many suggestions listed for you and you have experimented before coming to us.  Would it be possible to list everything you have tried and failed? You wouldn't have to go into detail - it would help knowing what to rule out.  If possible - that would be great.  Let's start the ball rolling again!!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you,
I have tried food changes, such as chicken with white rice-ID canned food for sensitive stomache-Precise natural food-Nature organic food, and gently switched over a number of weeks. As per my vet we treated with tagament and currently testing mylanta. We are also testing as per our vet cough syrup with decongestaide, and in the past has given us reglan to use for a few days.
We also use Panmyacin Aquadrops from time to time to element tear discoloration, which works well.
Testing has proven the Panmyacin is not the cause of the vomiting. We also use only filtered water.

I am giving some thought to a blood test to eleminate any liver disorder. Yes they are brother and sister,female 14 lbs male 21 lbs.

The more I think about this and now after your response, I really think there's validation for testing the liver. Bichons are prone to liver disease and you certainly have seemed to have tried everything regarding their diet! Before putting them on any other type of medication/remedy I would want to certainly rule out liver disorder so I wasn't causing additional problems by administering any of these other drugs.

If that does not show to be the cause, the only other thing I can think of is once again - back to the diet - small frequent meals throughout the day including that last small one before bedtime; and trying a duck/potato or Hill's prescription Z/D Allergen Free diet.

I wish I had more answers for you..I'm sorry!  I'd be interested in hearing from you after the liver testing... 

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Oliver's Mom
Just received the results of their blood tests and everything is OK, our vet feels they have sensitive stomachs and we are feeding them Hills
ID for the next week before returning to their Pro PLan diet, also using mylanta as needed and Reglan as needed. That's where we are at at this time.

Thanks for the update and I'm glad the tests came back without any problems.  Hopefully this new diet regimen will work.  Forgive me if I'm repeating myself but have you or will you try the light meal right before bedtime? I seen this make such a difference in the morning I feel it's important to mention again.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.  You have two very lucky doggies - they have a great owner who will do what it takes to keep them happy and healthy!  Take care,

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
yes, I am going to try a light meal before bedtime, makes a lot of good sense. Thanks for all your help.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: Hi,
I have been using a new diet,, Hills ID food canned, sold only thru my vet and a small amount of dry Pro Plan. They have been doing good, I did the light meal at bedtime for about 1 month, but it was too much food, as little as it was it caused my female 14 lbs to make in the house, could not wait till she went out in the morning.

So last week I stopped the light meal at bedtime and it solved that problem. Their digestion has been good, and no more bile throw up since January.

Thanks for all your help [email protected]

That's great news!  I'm so glad the problem is solved and let's hope it stays that way!

Best of luck to you and your furry friends!