Cheryl
Cheryl, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  Certified Vet Assistant/ Animal Health volunteer
73767

cat: the fur on his underbelly and the front of his front paws

Customer Question

My cat is liking off all the fur on his underbelly and the front of his front paws? What is going on???? He is 10 and we just lost our other cat within the last two months and they were 14 & 16. We have also brought home a new kitten since then. Is he stressed out??
Category: Pet
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.

Yes its quite possible he is. Many times under stress they will over
groom so you have to try and break the cycle. I would make sure he has
an area that the kitty can't bother him...kind of a refuge away from
the little ones pestering  I would also try spraying some:

Feliway Homepage

It has a calming effect and has been known to help. If it continues I
would have your vet evaluate him to make sure its not a medical issue.

Good Luck!!!

Expert:  Cheryl replied 11 years ago.

It is possible that he is grieving for the other cats, and as a result he is anxious. However, keep in mind that some cats lick out of sheer habit.

For the hearty lickers, you can help by trying to distract them with games and toys.
Compulsive licking and overgrooming can "cause" unnecessary stress to the cat, as well as the accumulation of hair in the stomach.

I wish you the best in either situation.

Take care & God Bless you and kitty.