Cheryl, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  Certified Vet Assistant/ Animal Health volunteer

eucalyptus oil on pets for fleas

I have been using a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil in water to spray my dogs to repel fleas. I am now reading it may not be safe. If its ok, do you know how many drops per ounce of water, I’ve lost the recipe.
The best product for fleas is Frontline or Frontline plus. It's really not very expensive and can now be bought over the counter from your vet.

I have heard of putting eucalyptus in the rinse water when you giving a dog a bath but I have never heard of making them injest it.

You can also put it in their bedding.

Your best bet is to go with a flea treatment that's safe for your dog and has been proven to work well.

Good luck!
Eucalyptus when use in a "pure" form may be toxic to a pet. However, The mixture of this oil diluted with water is typically safe for the overall use on the doggies.

Normally, Ten to fifteen drops may be put in a pint sized squirt bottle. This is used for misting the dogs coat, and should do the trick!

Eucalyptus oil should always be diluted before applying it topically or ingesting it; be it animal or human. Always follow package instructions carefully.

Hope this answered your concerns, feel free to write again if need be. Good luck & God Bless!
Cheryl, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: Certified Vet Assistant/ Animal Health volunteer