Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

hair loss

Customer Question

My sh*tzu is losing his hair on his face and stomach and he has scaley skin and is itchy what could this be? my dog is a male 17 years old and has had this problem since He was found by the Animal Rescue League. I have tried predisone and it seems to work. I have tried other meds also that seem to have no effect. The one vet said it was a yeast infection but no shampoo, meds, or lotions seem to work for long. Could it be a food allergy? I have tried lamb and it doesn't seem to help. Could it be a wheat allergy, all dog food seems to include wheat. If I need to make my own food for him what should I include? I have tried the special shampoo from the vet and also have had him on benadryl, ketoconazole, and another pill that I can't remember the name. Nothing seems to make any difference except the pedisone. Some one suggested Iams dog food is this as good as the Science Diet that the vet recommended?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 11 years ago.
It sounds like yeast and unfortunately it is a chronic problem and allergies can be the underlying issues.
You need to do the antifungal shampoos like miconazole. A antihistamine would be great and Omega Fatty Acids...next I would start him on Science DIet Z/D which is a synthetic food allergy food and try that with NO additional treats.
You probably won't see 100% change but if you can get the dog to be 80% comfortable that is successful.

Also you can ask about the use of Atopica medication in addition to the Miconazole for the yeast.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr.Vamvakias
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to DanaDVM's Post: I have tried the shampoo you suggested already and it seems to have no effect. It actually seemed to make his skin redder and warm to the touch. I have given him benadril and it doesn't seem to have any effect either. I just bought Iams lamb & rice dog food in the can because it has no wheat listed is this as good as Science Diet Z/D?