Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

la pom: solid stool followed..mucus..Which antibiotic..clavamox

My 2.5 lb pom has been diagnosed with colitis. She has skipped a meal or two and had a solid stool followed by a fairly loose one and a drop of blood in mucus. Which antibiotic of the two she was taking this past year for illnesses should I give her - cefa drops or clavamox? She is on Hills special diet canned food of chicken & rice but with Xmas, has had a bit of turkey and who knows. SHE IS 4 YEARS OLD
I wouldn't do either. Colitis tends to intially be inflammatory not infectious. I would give the food she was supposed to be on and maybe 1/4tsp of Immodium...but no antibiotics. The drop of blood and mucous goes with large intestinal irritation so I wouldn't worry. If the diarrhea becomes out of control or vomiting is involved then we need to re-evaluate.

Dr.Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Today Abby (2.5 lb pom) is shaking a little bit and has been doing this since awaking (6 hours). She had a large bowel movement this morning, it was soft but formed, not loose. She has not eaten and finally drank water once. I have given her Kaopectate (which I bought as per my vet) prior to your saying Immdium - hope they are comparable.
She wants to sit in my lap - not a usual habit except at night - begs me to pick her up if I put her down. She seems to want to throw up, not gagging, but trying to get down with a throw up look (??) and sense of urgency. When down, she wants up again in minutes.
I have given her a little of Nutracal. Help. Customer
Hard to say what the shaking is from, these guys are so sensitive to so much. You can use the Kaopectate...it is for the upper gi more than Immodium.
If she eats the chicken and rice foods, maybe try the Gerber puree chicken baby food (make sure it doesn't have onion powder added) You can even buy the Gerber rice cereal to add to the food to thicken. Warm it up to alittle above room temp and seee how she does. Sometimes their tummy hurts when it is empty too.

Try that and let me know.

Dr.V