ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

chow chow: 11 year old..year old female..nose..arthritus meds

My 11 year old female chow chow has recently starting to have severe nose bleeds. Blood levels are within acceptable guidelines..vet changed arthritus meds from Rimidal to Duramaxx and they seem to be getting worse and more frequent.
She doesn't seem to be in any pain but she has had 4 over the last 24hours.... I have spent alot of money on her this month and really can't afford to sock another $300 out for more tests...I'm looking for suggestions, options but primarily for the truth. Am I fighting a losing battle or is their hope for her. She has been a fantastic family member for 11 years.

Nosebleeds can be caused by nasal tumors or infections.  The disease called von Willebrand can also cause nosebleeds.  I am not aware of Duramaxx causing that sort of side effect - I guess one never can be sure however.

If I were you, I would think the best thing to do is concentrate on having your vet look into the nasal passage for any problems such as tumors or infections.  That would probably be the easiest thing to do.  I would not know how much that would cost.

I assume you are wondering if you should go on treating your Chow - not because you don't love or care for her- it just seems like you're at a loss as to what to do with these problems she is having.  The number one question you have to ask yourself is does your dog have the quality of life she deserves?  Are you able to give her what she needs to make her life comfortable?  Only you can answer those questions to determine what you should do for her.  I wish I had a better answer - maybe one of the other specialists will be able to help you.

Best of luck,

Oliver’s Mom, Prof Trainer & Behavior Counselor
Experience: 20 yrs Trainer/Behavior/Rescue focus:dog/cat-human relationships;dog/cat behavior modification metho

Ehrlichia or tick fever can cause hemorraging and is usually presents first as nosebleeds. I would have your vet test for it ASAP because it can be easily treated.

Good luck!

ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25+ years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.