Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

yorkie: found a small white worm..my 2 year..feces

I just found a small white worm in my 2 year old
yorkie's feces. It was alive as well. AAHHH!!! This is
so gross. The poop that I found it in was one he did on
the carpet. I have another 6 month old yorkie. It's
thanksgiving weekend and i cant get him to the vet until
monday!! What do I need to do as far as medicine for
one
or both b/c they live in the same environment (even
though I havent found it in the puppy's feces) and also
cleaning my house!! Should I also not let him lick me or
not let him get near my bed or furniture right now?? I
am so
grossed out and also so
concerned about my poor little dog!!! :(

Small white worms tend to be segments of tapeworms. They are usually contracted by ingesting fleas.  They are gross because they can crawl out of the rectum. Dried tapeworms look like small rice pieces.

I would medicate both dogs. Friday there should be a vet open to pick up the pills, you should be able to pick it up without a visit.

For now I would wipe the hindend keep the dogs down and wash your hands. You are not to worry about spreading, just the good hygiene.

Good Luck, and let me know if you have further concerns.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dr.Vamvakias 

Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to DanaDVM's Post: Thank you so much!!! What a relief. I give my dogs heart guard
and it is also Ascarid prevention as well. Is Ascarid prevention
the same type of worm or are they different worms? Whatever
the case, they are on their way to the vet...pronto!!! But is it the
same thing?? Because if it is, does that mean that it's not
working?? And my puppy is six months old and I gave him his.
Is he too young to be on heart guard?

No, it is not the same.  Tapeworms are their own little type of worm and they need their own wormer.  The most common is called DRONCIT and is about $4/pill. You need one for now and I would repeat it in 2-3 weeks.

Dr.V