Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Rescue Work With Cats and Dogs
Experience:  Experienced 40 Yrs. W/Cats, Dogs. Knowledge of Medical Problems, Diseases, and Behavior of Animals.

Bleeding out nose & mouth

I recently had to put one of my cat’s to sleep because of complications of Kidney Disease and High Blood Pressure. She was on high blood pressure medication mixed with an iron suppliment (her blood pressure was around 240 before the blood pressure med) and and an anxiety medication (she cryed alot...mostly at night). Plus I did sub-Q fluids 2 times per week. During her last visit to her regular vet (3week prior to being put to sleep) The vet said she was enemic and had an infection (we did bloodwork). She was also congested and she was not eating or drinking. She put her on Antibiotics an antihistimine, an appetite stimulant, plus we increase her Sub-Q fluids. The congestion had been happening off and on for about a year. It was not just sinus congestion, it seemed to also be deep (in her chest). She got a little better and started eating and drinking. But was still having trouble walking (her back legs seemed weak and she would stagger some. then very suddenly, her eye and the right side of her face became very swollen. I treated the eye with an antibiotic ointment. She was still on an oral Antibiotic. Then she started bleeding out of her nose and a little out of her mouth. The bleeding lasted 3 days. I took her to the emergency vet (not her regular vet because it was off hours on the weekend). They said the bleeding could be a rapid growing tumor. We did not do an autopsy, so we will never know for sure what caused the bleeding. I have 2 questions: 1) What else could possible have caused the bleeding? (there was no trauma). 2)What are some of the possibilies for causes of the deep/chest congestion?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 9 years ago.
Truthfully, to know the full spectrum of possibilities I would need her medical records. From your description, your cat could have easily had a coagulation problem and coupled with a chronic sneezing, could have been the source of the vascular compromise. The chest congestion could be from excess fluid, secondary from the high blood pressure, could have be pneumonia, etc.
Hard to say for sure. The sinus area is heavily vascularized so bleeding often comes from there. With the lungs, there could have been bleeding as well with increased respiratory efforts.
I am sorry for your loss, let me know if you have further questions.
Dr.V
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Expert:  Elena Marie replied 9 years ago.
I am so very, very sorry for your loss of your beloved cat, and I feel from your post, that you truly loved her as a family member. It is so hard to see them suffer and then lose them when we love them so much. But, at least she is no longer suffering and you did do the right thing to put her down when her quality of life was deteriorating so badly.

To answer your second question, first, your cat sounds like she was quite ill, and since she had so many different symptoms, there are numerous diseases that she might have had. The following website tells about Chylothorax, which is treatable, but can be fatal that affects the lungs of a cat.

http://www.drpetra.com/Cats/Chylothorax%20in%20Cats.htm

Also, since she had such high blood pressure, she might have had something rupture, such as an aneursym, in her head, or lungs, that could have caused the bleeding. You did not say what anxiety medication she was on? Was it perhaps valium? There are now some vets that will not treat cats with valium, as my own vet told me it can "blow out the liver" in a cat. I think he met, that it is very dangerous for some cats, especially to be on it long term.

She could have had a blood vessel rupture in her esophagus, that could have caused the bleeding. There are really a lot of different symptoms and diseases that can cause these symptoms in cats, as well as in humans. It is just a matter of guessing at this point. I am not a vet, but I do read and study quite a bit on the medical aspects of animals, and I have been dealing with many different acute and chronic diseases in my own cats and dogs over the years.

Did she get checked for FIP if she was young? Or FIV? I have a cat now with FIV that I am always keeping an eye on, as I lost one of my other cats, two years ago to complications of the FIV. He was about 13, and he was extremely anemic and could no longer swallow, as he seemed to have a tumor in his throat, or severe gastritis. But, I did not want to put him through any testing that would cause him more pain, and we had him put to sleep here at home.

She could even have had some kind of neurological disease that caused the swelling and bleeding, and trouble with walking. FIP will sometimes cause these strange symptoms. I was wondering how old she was?

God bless and take care. Perhaps one of the vet's or technicians on the website here can give you some answers about your kitty.
Experience: Experienced 40 Yrs. W/Cats, Dogs. Knowledge of Medical Problems, Diseases, and Behavior of Animals.