Critter doctor
Critter doctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in small animal clinic and exotics. Currently working with Zoo Ave.
20347

prednisone and rimadyl

Customer Question

PLEASE.............When Prednisone and Rimadyl are combined........What are the effects..........Help!!!!!!
Category: Pet
Expert:  fingo replied 12 years ago.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_prednisone.html

"Glucocorticoid hormones should not be used in combination with medications of the NSAID class (ie aspirin, Rimadyl, phenylbutazone etc.) as the combination of these medications could lead to bleeding in the stomach or intestine. Ulceration could occur."

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Sorry Max but I knew that one .........I need more detail..........Thank you though......
Expert:  Dr. Vamvakias replied 12 years ago.
If this is a pharmacology question, respond and I will give you the method of action for both drugs. If this is a can my dog be on both without worry, the response is no. These drugs have similar activity in the body and combined together can produce toxic results. Toxic to what? the lining of the intestinal tract, kidneys, and liver. If you respond with if/why your dog is on both and doseage, I can help more...but if it is a "just wondering" stop the rimadyl immediately. Prednisolone has to be weaned from the body so that can not be stopped cold turkey.
Dr.V
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Response to DanaDVM's Post: I am serious...............who would wonder such a thing????????????
Expert:  Elena Marie replied 12 years ago.
Hi There,

The two sites I found that may help you are listed below:

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/deffect.html#Medication%20side%20effects%20%20-%20Rimadyl

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html

I am not a veterinarian, but I do give prednisone to my cat, for asthma, and I do know that it can be very hard on the stomach, especially if given without food, or at a high dosage, or for a long period of time.

Rimadyl, also, can be hard on the stomach and liver, and if your dog is in distress of any type, I would seek emergency veterinary help ASAP.

The hurricane looks like it is heading for Georgia, and I would be sure to get Teko checked out, or at least call the Emergency Clinic for animals nearest you to ask what to do.

Take care and God bless! I hope your Teko is okay.

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Thank you Mrs. Elena..............Teko has actually been to 3 vets...........the first one got him in this mess............the second said he had to have ear surgery asap....and the third...well the results are not in yet........let me look at the sites you suggested....and thank you for all your kindness.....and once again we got lucky on the hurricane...........God Bless All in Florida...............
Hello Again,

You are welcome, and I do hope that you can find a solution for your Teko.

I am so glad that you are not being affected by the hurricane too much.

Yes, I agree with you and send all my prayers to all of those in Florida, who are suffering so much at this time. I have a very good friend just called me awhile ago on her cell phone, and the battery died. She has been without electricity and in a bad area, with her four cats, and very ill husband. Her one cat yesterday was even open mouth breathing, she was so upset, so she used a product called Feliway, that helped calm her cats down.

God bless you and Teko! Keep us posted please, on what happens with your Teko! :)
Sorry, but did I write if you were serious or not?
Some people want a physiological breakdown of drug interactions on a metabolic level, ie as far as COX1 COX2 receptors and so forth...that is why I didn't know what level you were asking on.
I would love to help you out if you can provide information, but I do feel like I responded to your question. These drugs should not have been given at the same time and can cause serious intestinal problems, kidney failure, and liver toxicity. I can assist if you tell me what the diagnosis was with the ear. And hopefully help your dog too.
Dr.V
Expert:  Dr. Katie replied 12 years ago.

Hi There,

I am very confused..............has there been some private correspondence with Dr. V, or is the information RE: an ear problem just 'missing'?  It's hard to help when only 'selective' information is given.

I see the term 'prednisone', and then, 'prednisolone'......

'Aspirin' is mentioned.  Please only use a buffered aspirin for a dog, as they are very suspectable to gastric ulcers, and, please, do not ever give a dog phenlybutazone, as the possibility/frequency of gastric upset alnmost makes its use malpractice in dogs, as we have so many other drugs to choose from to attain the desired results.

I'm finding the correspondence to this question difficult to follow, and more difficult to try or help.  I would like to help, but something seems to be missing from these notes.  Are you talking about a single prednisone injection given to a dog with an ear infection that is taking Rimydal for hip dysplasia?............or, something else?

I would be happy try to help...........

Dr. K 

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Please forgive me .....this has been going on for 3 months............Teko originally went in to see new Vet for ear infection....ear antibiotic did not help...he developed a cough by the second visit.......dr. put him on prednisone for cough....said ear was fine...on the steroids..he wobbled....teko fell on his knee....I took him back to vet....he said knee was bruised...he than put him on rimadyl....and it only gets worse...........Is anybody out there?
Hi Again,

You say that it "only gets worse"? How is Teko right now? Are you still giving him both the prednisone and the Rimadyl?

Is Teko overweight by any chance? You do have to be careful with Prednisone or Prednisolone, as they can cause weight gain, increased appetite, and weaken the immune system in animals, or humans.

What kind of dog is Teko?

Did the vet say why he put him on the prednisone for the cough? Did he suspect that he had asthma or an allergic type of cough? Or possibly pneumonia? One other thing too, did the vet take x-rays to rule out any lung problems? Taking the prednisone, if you were able to read any of the information I sent to you in the website, can cause a lot of problems, even though it is a good drug when chosen, for specific problems. Like I said, my cat is on prednisone, and she is only on 2.5 mg. a day, and that has helped maintain her asthmatic coughing. But on a long term usage, it possibly can cause "diabetes", especially in cats, that I know of.

I am sure that Dr. Dana or Dr. Katie will be able to help you if you can further explain more specifically what is happening to your Teko at this time.

Take care and God bless! I hope that all goes well and Teko gets better. Just remember, like Dr. Dana had said that prednisone or prednisolone can not be stopped abruptly. The animal, or human, has to be slowly weaned off of the drug.
Expert:  Critter doctor replied 11 years ago.

Prednisone is effective in small dosage and for short time periods.

It softens all the tissue in the entire body and than attach's the outer skin and promotes bruising.

My mother did not die from lung cancer but a combination of prednizone and other tissue softening medications that attack the body. The lining of the intestine becomes thin and than ruptures and the feces are than excreted through out the body and you die.

Do not mix these medications and use them very sparingly if absolutely necessary. Depending on the condition their are many other choices of treatment.

try the following link to be one step ahead of the doctor. He most likely uses it himself to diagnose problems

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultant/consult.asp

Best to you all

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to DanaDVM's Post: His ear came out to be a yeast infection......His heart is enlarged and his liver is huge......teko got up to 21 lbs.......prednisone and rimadyl I believe to have him in such bad shape.....He has lost 3 lbs......but we still have so far to go.....