Dr.  Vamvakias
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
11348

German Shorthair with Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Are there any homeopathic or holistic remedies to help my dog with inflammatory bowel disease? I heard that vitamin E is good for healing Crohns disease and IBD has been equated to it. I have been giving him 1000mg/day of flaxseed oil to help with the shedding since he has been on a vegetarian dog food. He gets bloody stools and a very gurgly belly quite often. I have tried all other meds prescribed by my vet, but I would much rather try a natural approach in the hopes it would help him without more drugs being introduced to his system. He is only 8 years old and we are not ready to give up on him yet. Any advice will certainly be of value, as we love our dog as a child.
There are plenty of different approaches to IBD and it truly is up to the individual dog as to how they respond to various medications. The following is a nutritional therapy combination for dogs with colitis/inflammatory bowel disease:
N-Acetyl gluccoasmine(NNN) NNN-NNNNmg
Glutamine(NNN) NNN-NNNNg daily
Lactobacillius acidophilus 20-500 (million microorganisms)
Proanthocyanidine complex 10-200 mg
Dimethylglycine 50-250mg
Vitamin C(NNN) NNN-NNNNg
These ranges are on a daily intake. You should start middle of the range and see how the dog responds. I would take this list to your vet and see if he/she agrees. Also I am a big advocate for the Omega Fatty Acid supplements as well.
There are large groups of Homeopathic/Chinese Herbal/Holistic practicing veterinarians. You may want to ask your vet for a list of vets that are within your area, or maybe one of the more internet savy experts on this website can respond and give you a couple websites if you want more information.
Please make sure you are dealing with veterinarians who are practicing this alternative medicine because they will understand the medical disease process of IBD and be able to assist in various applications to your dog should you want to visit them with your dog.
Good Luck,
Dr.V
Dr. Vamvakias, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal & Emergency Medicine
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Great advice.....at this point I am willing to try anything to help him out. Thanks again.