Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My African sideneck turtle will not move from the same spot

Customer Question

Hi my African sideneck turtle will not move from the same spot until hours later. Should I be worried? I got her about 5 days ago and she also is eating but later on when I'm gone will spit it back up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the turtle. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the turtle?
Customer: the turtle is a female and is being feed sun dried red shrimp
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 11 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40+ years.

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, brand?

Basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Where is the turtle sitting in the tank, is it uncer a light?

Is eating?

Passing stool?

Any bubbles from nose or mouth?

Joan

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi thank you so much for helping so the tank has three big plants all around the basking platform and the tank was a kit from Aqua Culture and I'm using the light that it came with. Also she isn't passing stool and when not sleeping there is two bubbles on her nose and mouth not really a diet because I've only had her for 5 days but will take in sun dried red shrimp and floating food sticks. I do not have any supplements for her the turtle will always sit under the basking platform or dig a big hole in the rocks and sit where it's cold
Expert:  Joan replied 11 days ago.

Thank-you! You did not mention if you have a UVB bulb. If you do, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Joan

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No I do not have one to my knowledge unless the one that came with the kit was a UVB light
Expert:  Joan replied 11 days ago.

A UVB light supplies artificial sunlight that is very important for the health of the turtle. It may look like a coiled or ling tube. You also need a basking light. Please check the lighting that came with the kit

Joan

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This is the light that the kit came with
Expert:  Joan replied 11 days ago.

That is just the fixture that holds a bulb. I need to know what kind of bulbs you are using.

Joan

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The kit said it was a 75 watt daytime bulb
Expert:  Joan replied 11 days ago.

Thank you! Part of the problem is that you need two lights. One a Basking bulb the other light is extremely important which is a UVB bulb. It supplies artificial sunlight. That bulb is a Reptisun 10.0 and it comes in two forms, a linear tube which spans the length of the tank or a compact coil bulb which fits in a dome like you have the other bulb in. The only thing the bulb you are usng now is for basking. The UVB metabolizes calcium in the body in to D3 to stop metabolic bone disease.: https://www.thespruce.com/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles-1237237 As metioed you need calcium for the turtle as well as a Vitamin 2 days a week.

If you do not have the UVB light, the turtle will not be active nor will he eat and act normally.

I also have a concern about the bubbles because that can indicate a Respiratory infection. I am going to give you a care shee to read and it will go over this information I just supplies. I also suggest a Herp Vet visit to check the possibility of a RI. Please supply a State and I will locate some Herp Vets.

This is a care sheet: https://www.thespruce.com/african-side-neck-turtles-1238351

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan