Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I got my daughter a Chameleon for Christmas. All proper

Customer Question

Hi, I got my daughter a Chameleon for Christmas. All proper equipment, mister, fountain etc. He stopped eating about 4 days ago. Crickets are sleeping next to him. Can you tell me if I have any options. Don't want him to starve to death. Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the Chameleon. What is the Chameleon's name?
Customer: Pascal.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pascal?
Customer: I don't think so, he hasn't mentioned and proplems! ;-)
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I paid the deposit
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When will I get a response?
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue. Sorry about the wait experts come on at different times.

Type of Chameleon?

Can you tell me abut the enclose?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Temps in basking area and ambient temp?

Passing any stool or urates?

Supplements?

Is he still on branches and not bottom of enclosure?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, I m not exactly sure what species it is so I attached a photo of the Chameleon, and accessories. The enclosure is a glass terrarium with screen sides and back. I sprinkle the powder on the crickets like I was told to. He is on the branches but does move around. All looks fine but he doesn't eat the crickets like he did when we first got him.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Thank-you! Pascual is a Veiled Chameleon. As I susopected they di not sell you the correct lighting and that can influence activity and appetite. It can also influence the health of the chameleon. They do need two lights, but neither that was sold to you were correct and te red bulb is danderous with chameleons. You need a White full spectrum basking light and you also need a UVB light. The UVB comes in two forms, one is a Linear tube and the other is a compact coil UVB. The strength should be a 5.0 and Brand reptisun. Without the UVB light the calcium you are feeding is not meatbolized in the body causing Metabolic Bone Disease: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

The blue light is fine for night time for extra heat. The resd bulb can cause thermal burns. The Prey should never be left in the enclosure. The can bit the Chameleon and cause abscesses.

The correct bulbs need to be gotten immediately to start making a difference in Pascual. The enclosure the sold you is poor at best. Pascual also needs an automister to make sure he does not dehydrate.

I am going to give you a good care sheet and show you the best enclosure. This should the best screened enclosures and goes over the information I am supplying for you. On the care sheet you can see the enclosures that work the best: http://flchams.com/general-chameleon-care-sheet/

Pascual should be kept in an elevated or high area away from foot traffic to give Pascual security.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I cannot stress how important it is to have the proper enclosure and lighting.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Did you get the proper lighting? I am hoping Pascual is doing better. Please let me know. I can also locate Herp Vets for you if needed.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Checking on Pascual. How is Pascual doing? Is he any better? Please let me know with a follow up.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan