Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I was wondering if helping a leapord gecko shed could

Customer Question

Hi there , I was wondering if helping a leapord gecko shed could seriously injure it ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the leopard's name and age?
Customer: My gecko passed away a few months ago and I was wondering if maybe peeling the shed off her too soon may have contributed to it ?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your gecko?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

I would like to assist you but U want to get some backgriound on care before the passing.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps?

Moist hide?

Any weight loss?

Was the gecko eating?

Passing stool and urates?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Substrate? A mat with sand glued on (bought from pet store)Diet? MealwormsSupplements? Calcium and vitamin D powderTemps? Not too sureMoist hide? Sometimes ...Any weight loss? Not sureWas the gecko eating? Yes , slowed down a week priorPassing stool and urates? YesI took her to the vet regularly whenever I thought something was wrong but everything checked fine .. had shedding problems . Had a hallow log, water dish, and a hide .
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

I am so sorry for your loss. Generally we see shedding issues due to too little humidity or a Vitamin A deficiency. When there is a bad shed we generally will increase the humidity. If that did not work the next thing would be a daily soak and increasing the tank humidity. We do not aid in shedding. If it is pulled off too soon, it can leave the skin open for infection, leaving the Gecko open for sepesis, which is a blood borne infection. Some shed will com off easy, but if was to soon and it was pulled off the infection I mentioned could have caused the probem. There is also possible there was a parasite issues which could have compounded the problems. Parasites can come in in prey feeders. Please hit reply to discuss this information. My gal is to give you excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

Wanted t check in and see if you found the information helpful.

Joan