Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My iguana had these red insects on him bunch of eggs an

Customer Question

my iguana had these red insects on him bunch of eggs an larva, I gave him bath to get them off 90% off but I can still see eggs under some of the scales and where his hind legs are at and his belly looked like he was about to start scaleing but I lifted I was checking to see if it was from the bugs and I believe it is. And hes became more doscile when trying to move he doesn't move and climb as quickly so I think either 2 things 1 due to the flacking of the skin that it hurts to move or 2 hes almost beggening calsification but he 3 1/2 yers old so I don't think its the 2nd but leaving my options open.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your iguana. What is the iguana's name and age?
Customer: Enrigue 3 1/2 years of age 2 1/2 feet long
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Enrigue?
Customer: I think that's covers it ow he wont eat dead (dried criquets or millworms) only alive.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
cell phone-
or house phone(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sorry about that I was doing my own personal research.
Expert:  Anna replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear your iguana is having this problem. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Expert:  Anna replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for waiting. From what you have described, it sounds like you have an unfortunate situation to deal with: mites. Mites are very hard to kill and to eliminate completely.

I'll give you a summary of what you'll have to do and a link that gives you all the step-by-step details. Your iguana will have to be removed from the cage. You'll need to give him a bath in a Betadine solution (diluted with water to the color of weak tea), then put him somewhere safe while you deal with the cage. Everything will have to be taken out of the cage. The link I'll give you tells you exactly how to get rid of mites on everything from a heating pad to the water bowl. You'll have to use some sort of toxic chemical in the cage, unless you live somewhere that still has outside temperatures in the 80's or above, where you can use heat to kill the mites.

There is a spray that can be gotten through reptile supply companies called Provent -a -Mite, which is the most effective and safe spray to use for snakes and reptiles.

http://www.pro-products.com/

After that the cage has to be thoroughly aired to make it safe once more. The room where the iguana lives will also need to be cleaned well because mites wander all over. Here's where you can read exactly how to do all of this:

http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html

I know this sounds pretty overwhelming, but there is no easy way, and if the mite infestation gets heavy enough, the nasty little things can even kill an iguana.

Unrelated to the mites, iguanas are better off not being fed insects at all. Eventually, that diet will lead to problems. Iguanas are strict vegetarians, and should be fed a wide variety of produce. There is far more to know about iguana care than what I can give you here. I suggest that you read all the information on the Green Iguana Society site. It’s reliable information, unlike much of what you’ll find online, or obtain at pet stores,

http://www.greenigsociety.org/careinfo.htm

If you have further questions, just let me know. Good luck in eliminating the mites.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!