Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My leopard gecko won't and is looking weak like he is going

Customer Question

My leopard gecko won't and is looking weak like he is going to die
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your leopard?
Customer: He stopped eating and he barely moves looks skinny
JA: What is the leopard's name and age?
Customer: He's about 5
JA: What is the leopard's name?
Customer: Leo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?
Customer: No
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in enclosure?

Passing stool and are they normal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
50 litre tank with a heat mat
Sand
Crickets that get gutload/dusted in calcium dust also meal worms on the odd occasion
He hasn't passed stool in a couple of days due to no eating
It's about 87 in his tank
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I suspect the issue may be an impaction due to the sand It is actually deadly because Reptiles taste their environment. We need to remove the sand and use cage carpet, tile or paper towels. Now to help the Gecko, Please give a sahallow soak in 50/50 Gastrolyte and warm water. The Gastrolyte is an infant electrolyte replacer. While in the soak, gently massage the abdomen. This will helpo if there is a blockage. This may also be a parasite issue to complicate matter as they can add to an intestinal blockage. Lets try emergency feeding by mixing a little calcium in some chicken baby food and dropping on the snout and allowing Leo to lick it off. I am going to give you a link to Herp Vets in Australia that can see Leo and treat him hands on: http://www.wolfwood.com.au/rept2.html At hope we can offer immediate first aid, but a Hands on exam they have medications and the ability to fully treat him for parasites and the blockage. Please hit reply to discuss any concerns.

Joan

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will blended oats with water work instead of chuck food as shops are closed today?
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

No Oats because the are carnivores. You can use a little dog food or cat food watered down. We need to use and soften mash of meat, and the soft canned pet food would work.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

How is your Gecko doing? I wanted to check in on him. Please let me know how he is doing?

Joan