Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I think my leopard gecko may have a broken jaw :/ friend

Customer Question

hi, i think my leopard gecko may have a broken jaw :/ friend pulled his finger away when he was bitten. jaw now is crooked and gecko seems very unhappy. I am concerned. Can you offer any advice on assessing or if he will have trouble eating? Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your gecko bleeding a lot?
Customer: hes not bleeding but there is gaping on one side and depressed on other. hiding in the corner. Do leopard geckos feel pain the same as mammals?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your leopard?
Customer: Nervous gecko dropped tail a little over a week ago. otherwise healthy.
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 3 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and worked with reptiles over 40 years.

THis situation warrants a Herp Vet visit hands on for you Gecko to be see, The Jaw may be dislocated and needs to be put back in place. They do feel pain, but are very stoic and hide illness until it is too late to trear. I would be happy to locate a Herp Vet for you with a state and if Califormia, please say No or So.

Joan

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ive heard reptile vets are expensive. its my fiances gecko, i don't know if he'll allow me to take him to a vet. is there anything I can do from here? :( Will he be able to eat? I don't want him to suffer and die off from pain and starvation.thank you for your help
Expert:  Joan replied 3 days ago.

I am afraid there is really no at home treatment. If you would like a Her Vet, I would be happy to loacate some for you with a state,

Joan