Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a sick Leopard Gecko. Are you a reptile vet? Can you

Customer Question

I have a sick Leopard Gecko. Are you a reptile vet?
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: Can you help with a reptile?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the leopard?
Customer: She was fine for 2 years we've had her since a baby, then all of a sudden 2 weeks ago I noticed she wasn't eating much food. She started to drop weight in her tail. 2 weeks have gone by and I am not feeding her myself a blend of blended meal worms and pedialyte. She seems to have struggled to shed her skin and had some in her eyes which I gently removed via advice from other leo owner online. She barely opens her eyes now and only eats if I feed her myself. I haven't seen feces or urine in a week.
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the leopard can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the leopard's name?
Customer: Leona
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leona?
Customer: She's a recue rescue
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joan replied 16 days ago.

My name is Joan and I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and worked with Reptiles for 40 Years.

I see you are asking for a Phone call. I do want to advise you the site does have an extra charge. I am happy to assist you with your Leopard Gecko. I do need t ask some questions.

Can you tell me about tank set up?

Diet?

Substrate?

Heat source?

Supplements?

State to locate a Herp Vet if needed.

Joan

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She has a 20 gallon tank with a heat pad, a cave, a moist hide, a shallow water disk and a food dish. (I attached photos)
She has cut loaded crickets (they aren't live) and also meal worms
We use paper towels for substrate and have for her whole life
She has a heat lamp which we always use with a night time bulb since other leo owners told me they don't like a lot of light, she also has a heat pad
I add the calcium dusting powder to the meal worms but no other supplements
We live in GeorgiaAs I said, I've been feeding her a mixture I blended of meal worms and plain pedialyte. She is accepting the feedings better than she had been. Her eyes are barely open but I've been rinsing them with a sterile saline when I see them open. She had something strange on her bottom side near the tail (photo attached from last week vs today) which I've been treating with warm soaks and vitamin A&D ointment at the suggestion of someone on a leo group. She must have struggled to shed this last time because I did have to remove some residual skin out of her eyes (moistened then rolled out with a damp qtip) and she had some around her mouth and a piece that actually was in her mouth which was softened in one of her baths and I pulled off with no effort. She opened her mouth and the end of it came out. It looks as though she may have finally peed/pooped there is something on the paper towel near the food bowl. It looks different than usual probably because of the liquid diet. So the underside of her near the tail, lethargy, lack of eating, and eye issues are what I'm dealing with.
Expert:  Joan replied 16 days ago.

The People who told you to remove retained Eye shed and to use the A&D ointment gave you bad information. Retained eye shed needs to be removed by a Herp Vet because doing it at home can lead to corneal abrasions and ulcerations. She may aslo have layered shed still in the eyes. The A&D has Zink Oxide in it and is toxic to animals because of the Zinc. You have to be very carful about listening to other owners.

The eyes need to be addressed by a Herp Vet and I will locate some for you. Please continue to use the plain saline. The most likely reason that this happened is a Vitamin A deficiency due to the dead crickets, Prey needs to be gut-loaded prior to feeding to give the most abount of Vitamins.

We are going to cahnge the diet now to chicken baby food with a Pinch of calcium in it. I would also like you to give a Shallow soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak for hydration. Reptiles absorb fluids through the skin and Vents this should help your Leopard gecko.

This is a link for Georgia Herp Vets: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/georgia.html

The only thing to use on the skin if injured is a thin layer of Neosporin.

Most likely the Vet whill check the eyes for any further shed, and treat any abrasion or ulceration with an antibiotic.

Please hit reply for clarification.

Joan

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Joan,She has eaten 2 live meal worms since I last checked on her. I can remove the A&D ointment. Sorry I was taking advice from other owners, I didn't know where else to turn. None of those vets listed are anywhere near me. But I'll get an appointment with the closest one. I didn't touch her eyes themselves, I just pulled the softened skin that was hanging and it came off with no effort. I didn't put a q tip in the eye I used it to slide the skin off right behind the eye toward the ear. What should I put on the underside of her in the meantime? I probably can't get into a vet until Friday. Are you suggesting I gut load live crickets myself? I was giving live mealworms with the calcium dusting also. Where can I find the chicken feed?
Expert:  Joan replied 16 days ago.

Always gut load the prey about 30-45 mins before feeding to your Leo. The Crickets constantly pass what they eat, so if not gut loaded prior to feeding it can result in the Leo not getting enough nutrition. You can feed the crickets fresh veggies, pieces of apple carrot, a leaf of dark greens. The eyes may just have some retained shed in there. Usually a bad shed is not enough humidity, but you have a moist hide, or a Vitamin A deficiency. For the bottom area by the Vent just a thin layer of plain Neosporin will soothe the area.

Joan

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay I'm having my husband pick up chicken baby food and plain neosporin. I'll continue the saline rinses in the eyes when she opens them. How long do I feed the baby food? Until she's healthy again? Any tips on the set up of the enclosure?
Expert:  Joan replied 16 days ago.

The enclosure sounds fine. The baby food is supplemental feeding, so if she is eating, she does not need it, but if she is not eating continue to use the baby food. I am sure the Vet may suggest some other measures, but for mow we need to give her some support to keep her energy level and weight.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 16 days ago.

I will be stepping out for dinner, but will be back in about an hour.

Joan

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay thank you! I really appreciate the help!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay so she just "pooped" and I have no idea what this is that came out of her! It's green mostly with some white and looks mucous like or membrane like.
Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

She may have a bacterial infection or a parasite bloom to be that color, but she is hydrated because I did see urates in with the stool. The baby food should firm it up a bit and it may look whitish because the color of the baby food. That would be normal hopefull we can get her eating some meal worms beside the slurry mix.

Joan

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She ate 2 meal worms around 3 today and another 2 between then and 8pm. Doesn't look like she's touched the chicken baby food. I have a good soak in the 50/50 water pedialyte mix and she seemed to soak up a lot. That was right before the big poo! Eyes still aren't very active but she has energy. She's spending a lot of time on the heat pad. If it's bacteria or parasites how it that treated? How could she get any of that? From me handling her?
Expert:  Joan replied 15 days ago.

Parasites are normal in the gut and can bloom if stressed. They can also get parasites from feeders. As for bacterial infection can also come from a bad feeder insect. The Vet can give medication for either one. The Baby food needs to be fed. You drop a little on the snout and allow her to lick it off. You an also try using a syringe and see if she will lick it as you squeeze it. Most Reptiles that are carnivores will accept it once tasted.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 13 days ago.

I am checking in to see how your Leopard Gecko is doing. Dis you take her in to be seen by a Herp Vet? Please let me know.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 12 days ago.

I wanted to check in on your Leopard Gecko. Have you have it seen by a Herp Vet and see how your Gecko was doing. Please post an update. I was very concerned.

Joan