Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a 6 week old bearded dragon. The last 4 days all he

Customer Question

I have a 6 week old bearded dragon. The last 4 days all he has done is sleep. He only ate yesterday and hasn't eaten anything else in the last 5 days. Very lethargic and getting skinnier by the day. He doesn't look like he has long to live.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 21 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a have worked with dragons over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

Substrate?

UVB bulb, Linear tube or compact coild, strength and brand?

Basking light full spectrum?

Diet Prey/veggies?

Supplements?

Temps in the basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

How do you measure the temps?

Passing stool and urates?

Joan

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It is a reptile enclosure with three full sides and one glass panel at front.I have attached photos of light tank and gizzy. The light sits over the top of the large rock in his cage.usely 4 leaf salad and sometime carrot. He doesn't eat it. Baby crickets extra small.Basking area 38 degrees and other side of tank 32 degrees.
He has multi vitamin twice a week.
I have two thermometers one either side of the tank.He hasn't passed for a few days.I have disconnected his tank and also removed red rocks and replaced with paper today.
Expert:  Joan replied 21 days ago.

Your basking temps are too cool they should be 40-43*c in the basking area. Temps are very important if too cool the Dragon will shut down. I only saw one light that said heat light. I did not see a UVB bulb or a Basking light and both are needed. Do you have them?

Joan

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
My light is a uvb and heat light in one and it is over the basking area.
Expert:  Joan replied 21 days ago.

These are the type of acceptable bulbs:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15468&cmpid=07cseYY&ref=6196&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_G_6196&gclid=CMX_qLLsotACFQ6bfgodPSwPlw

https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptisun-100-uvb-compact/dp/126581?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=COzu6cfsotACFUeCfgodA-wF0A&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-solar-glo-all-in-one/dp/124024?utm_source=google-

product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Exo%20Terra&utm_term=&gclid=CNSY1ubsotACFYyLaQodwawKqg&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is a Basking bulb does not give UVB: https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti-basking-reptile-spot/dp/126603?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=CK_P2IrtotACFZA2aQodGbgJCw&gclsrc=aw.ds

The unit you are using is not putting out adequate heat and Basking light. The first two bulbs are acceptable UVB bulbs and they work with a separate basking bulb. The Third bulb is a solar glo whch is a Mercury Vapor bulb and gets very warm, puts out the heat as well as UVB.

The Dragon is very dehydrated and need to be soaked in a 50/50m solution of Gastrolyte and warm water. You can do this is a shallow dish and support him. he will absorn fluids through the vent area and skin. He needs to be warm and have UVB light on him. He also needs to have emergency feeding of chicken or beef baby food mixed with calcium and dropped on the snout and allow him to lick it off. I looked at the picture and he is in bad shape, but we can try to save him. He may have parasites which compounds the problem. I am going to give you a link for Herp Vets in Australia. http://www.wolfwood.com.au/rept2.html

I want to be honest with you in his present condition he may not make it, he is awful small and weak. So all measures I suggested may nt work.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 21 days ago.

I will be going off soon and wanted to check and see if you have questions on this information, The bulb you have is fine for a full grown adult, but with your little one he needs more heat and UVB light directly. As I said I suspect he has a paraiste issue too, whic can force them off food. You can try why I suggested, but a hands on exam with a Herp Vet may be all that can save him. My goal is to gove you excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating.

Joan

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I don't have a wide variety of options where I live. I have to order most things online. I will hand feed him tonight and hydrate with spring water. I will have a look for the right light and uvb
Expert:  Joan replied 21 days ago.

Amazon usually has the ones I mentioned. Poor little one will have a hard time over coming this but you are doing a good job with him. I did give you a linl for Herp Vets who treat Dragons. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service so I can be compensated by the site for my answers. Please let me know an update tomorrrow on how he is doing.

Joan