Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My chameleon, i dont know what is going on, She has taken a

Customer Question

my chameleon, i dont know what is going on
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your chameleon?
Customer: She has taken a few tumbles from her branches. She keeps her black stripes on all day
JA: Where does your chameleon seem to hurt?
Customer: No. she climbed right back up and seems to get around ok
JA: What is the chameleon's name and age?
Customer: Tori Amos LOL 8mos old, I just got her a few weeks ago
JA: How old is Tori Amos LOL?
Customer: 8 months her diet wasnt great from the previous owner i am gut loading and calcium dusting crickets for her and she seems to like to hunt
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Tori Amos LOL?
Customer: i just put a lay box in for her thinking she might be ready to lay a clutch but she hasnt really touched it
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 21 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years working with Reptiles.

Can you tell me about the lighting? Do you have a UVB bulb, is it a linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Auto Mister?

State to locate a Herp Vet if needed

Joan?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Uvb bulb is a 5.0. I mist cage twice a day.
Expert:  Joan replied 21 days ago.

Do you have a basking bulb? For light and warmth?

Temps in the basking area?

Joan

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
In addition to the basking bulb that has UVB. I have a red heat bulb. I estimate basking temperature is about 80° . I have been reading a lot and doing my best to take care of her unfortunately the previous owner wasn't quite as interested.
Expert:  Joan replied 21 days ago.

Misting twice a day is not enough for a chameleon they will not drink from standing water and easily dehydrate. An auto mister is very important for the chameleon. THe basking bulb should be a white light and should be about 85-95*F in the basking area. This is very important. The black stripes can indicate the Chameleon is too cool. The turn darker in the temps are too cool. As far as the falling it could be she is dehydrated, or it could be a bit of a calcium deficiency which is the onset of MBD, Metabolic Bone Disease: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

This can be a result of the previous owners care. Even the UVB bulb needs to be replaced every 6 months.

This is a care shee from Fl Chameleons. It is comprehensive and should help guide you with the continued care. http://flchams.com/veiled-chameleon-care-sheet/

If The Mister, extra calcium and a warmer basking area do not help, then a Herp Vet visit will be needed. If you need a Herp Vet please supply your location so I can get you a List of Herp Vets.

If you have any questions about this information please hit reply.

Joan

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Can you please make a recommendation for a proper light. There is so much conflict info out there. The uvb bulb I have is new but doesn't put out much heat. Hence the other lamp.
Expert:  Joan replied 20 days ago.

That is the way it is supposed to be. UVB bulb put out minimal heat and are for the UVB rays which metabolize the Calcium in the food into Vit D3 in the body. The Chameleon needs a second light called a full spectrum Basking bulb which I suggest the one by Zoomed. This will put out a white light that supplies her a 75 watt is what you want. This will be the warm area at the top of the enclosure and will supply the temp of 85-95 at the warmest point. The ambiet temp should be 80*. The red bulb is only for night if it gets below 78*. You may want to get a digital thermometer or a temp gun to get accurate temps in the enclosure. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 20 days ago.

Did you have further questions about this information? The care sheet I gave you is a good one to help. Also many chameleons will lat their eggs around the base of a potted plant, so you may want to consider tha vs just a plain lay box. It is late in the season for laying.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 14 days ago.

How is your Chameleon doing? Checking in for an update.

Joan